Existing Member?

Worldwide Walkabout

Port Denarau and Tivau Island - the first 24 hours in Fiji

FIJI | Monday, 5 December 2016 | Views [1427]

Jetty to Tivua Island

Jetty to Tivua Island

I must admit that usually, I am a budget traveller. But if it is budget you are after, I might suggest that Fiji is not exactly the best option for you. However that being said, if you are looking for a place to kick back, relax and perhaps even be a little indulgent, then Fiji may be the perfect destination for you!

 

After landing in Nadi we spent the night in Port Denerau at the Hilton Fiji Beach Resort and Spa. Make no mistake this place made for tourists and caters to their every need. Port Denerau itself feels like an island, as you cross the bridge after a short 30 minute taxi drive from the airport you enter a lush complex with well kept gardens and numerous luxury resorts. From the reception of the hotel be booked the Tivua Island Day Cruise (linked below). If you are not staying at a hotel you can easily head down to the harbour at Port Denerau which is home to a multitude of ticket offices that run tours out to the tropical island paradises off the coast of Nadi.

 

Our tour was operated by Captain Cook Cruises and cost us around $136 Australian dollars, you should note that prices fluctuate with the seasons. The staff and crew on the tall sailing boat were a beautiful group of people, who welcomed us all aboard with a friendly smile and a loud “Bula”. The atmosphere of the cruise was extremely relaxing while still being lively and entertaining; the crew shared their Fijian history and pointed out landmarks that we could see back on the coast and even hosted a traditional Kava drinking ceremony.

 

As the sails caught the wind and we glided across the perfect blue of the calm ocean toward our destination, the staff got out the guitar and sang some Fijian songs. As the tiny island appeared on the horizon and the ship drew ever closer, everyone was keen to feel the white sand between their toes. The crowd of 50 people quickly dispersed around the tiny island and picking spot in the individual shaded pavilions set a couple of meters back from the crystal clear waters edge.

 

This tour offered snorkeling, diving, paddle boarding, childminding facilities, massages and a BBQ lunch of freshly grilled fish, meat and an assortment of salads as well as an open bar on the island. The only thing I would not recommend is the scuba diving. If you are an experienced diver you will find the coral on Tivau Island disappointing. I was told by my instructor during a very quick 25 minute dive that much of the coral had been damaged during the severe weather they experienced due to Cyclone Winston in 2016. However, if this is your first time diving the island offers a perfect location to try something new, with easy entry points into the water and patient instructors. I highly recommend this cruise as the location, service and staff operating the tour are all incredible.

 
Link to Tivua Island Day Cruise:

Tags: beach, boats, dive, fiji, island, ocean, paradise, sail, sailing, snorkel

 

About nevertobeseenagain


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.