Existing Member?

Do not visit. Experience!

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [128] | Scholarship Entry

And suddenly everything went pitch-black in our double room... Due to the electricity black-out hotel guests gather on the balcony, where the last sun rays of the day make the evening more enjoyable. We start talking to Omar, who grew up in Samaná but has been living in the US. When morning comes knocking, Omar offers us a ride to the – extremely hard to reach, but according to him, not to be missed out on – Garden-of-Eden-like Playa Rincón. Sitting on the back of a motorcycle and while holding on for dear life as we are moving down a slippery sandy lane towards the secluded beach, my thoughts linger on the car ride. Not only did we stop at a plot of land which Omar had recently purchased – contemplating building an eco-friendly B&B with the help of the local community – he also took us to meet a family who helped him during a hurricane once. We unloaded supplies of tooth paste and medicine from his SUV and were welcomed into the home, and into the hearts of that family... Omar’s friend drops us off at the western end of the bay, where we sit down for an incredibly savoury meal, a stone’s throw away from the waterfront, our feet touching the sand. Apart from the tiny restaurant (recommended by Omar), made up solely of some wood beams and plastic canvas, the 3 kilometre sand stretch appears utterly deserted. I cannot help but wonder that Columbus must have seen something similar, when he set foot on the island in 1492 and uttered that this was the most scintillating, beautiful land which people had ever set eyes upon. A true paradise, where coconuts and leaves lie scattered across a white beach lined by palm trees, where no sound is to be heard. Far away from the carefully tweaked beaches at the noisy all-in resorts. We did not get to visit, we got to experience the Dominican Republic through the eyes of Omar. He showed us the kindness of his people. He offered us a taste of the local cuisine. He gave us access to the untouched nature, to the soul of the island.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About nettie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.