Existing Member?

Travel tales

Himalaya, Plunging in the Buddha Way

INDIA | Sunday, 15 June 2008 | Views [554]

Leaving Agra and Delhi, I head for the northern mountains in Himachal Pradesh, the journey entirely shifts to the Tibetan surrounding distinctive to this region. Bordering with Nepal and Pakistan, Himachal Pradesh-the land of eternal snow peaks-stretches from the plains and valleys of the High Himalaya. It has a more common aspect with the nearby Tibet than the rest of India. I settled in McLeod Ganj, a small village which stands as the headquarter of the Tibetan government in exile and home of his HH the 14th Dalai Lama Tinzin Gyatso. Mc Leod Ganj is a snow town in the Kangra valley, it has the Tsunglagkang, a very modest complex that comprises the most important Buddhist monument featuring an enormous 3 meter high Buddha statue and Avalokiteshvara, the Buddha of compassion.

The simple concrete structure of houses and temples reflect the peacefulness and harmonic surrounding of Buddhist philosophy. Before I arrive to India, like any person interested to learn in other religions, I’ve read about Buddhism and its foundations, however, coming close to the people who follow the teaching of Buddha was a revealing experience. The Tibetan are very warm , decent and courteous. They approve an enormous respect toward nature and human beings regardless of their origins and beliefs. In north India, there is around 80.000 Tibetan refugee. And behind the serene and peaceful nature of the Tibetan, lies profound grief and melancholy for having to live away from their home land , Tibet.

I left the Himalaya with a smile on my face, and the recollection of many faces I came across throughout this journey. This good place is definitely the projection of the good spirits and souls that inhabit it. India’s beauty, history and mysticism are endless

Tags: dharmasala, himachal pradesh, himalata, india, tibet

 

About nermo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.