Existing Member?

Travel Photography Scholarship 2008 - The Winner Tells All!

The Adventure Begins!

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 20 August 2008 | Views [1042] | Comments [2]

As I stepped off the plane is Brisbane yesterday, I was filled with excitement for the adventure that lay ahead of me. This was my first time in Australia, and I didn’t quite know what it had in store for me, but I knew that I would soon find out! Katrina Greeves of World Nomads, who would be my chauffeur and guide for my short stay in Brisbane, greeted me at the Airport. Once everything was dropped off at the hotel, we headed out for an excellent seafood lunch by the river, which was a breath of fresh air after my last five “meals” of typical airplane fare. The rest of my afternoon was spent walking around downtown “Brissy” checking out the shops and Chinatown. I kept seeing signs for “Pokies” everywhere, which as I found out later, is Australian for slot machine. Later on, back at the hotel, dinner consisted of more seafood, though I was a little let down when I was told that if I wanted to have a beer with my prawns I would have to bring over a pint myself. On my way home, I’ll stop by again and try and bring my own food as well!
This morning was early. Very early. I got up at five to catch a 6:55 flight to Longreach from Brisbane. A lovely Katrina once again picked me up, and a couple hours later I was sitting in a 30-person propeller plane about the size of a school bus, but with smaller windows! Once on the ground in Longreach I caught a cab to the cattle sale yard to meet up with Jason Edwards of National Geographic. Jason was to carry me under his wing for the next week and provide me with mentorship on everything photographic. Wasting no time, we got to shooting immediately, taking pictures of the cattle auction as the sun started to drop towards the horizon. The cattle were kicking up dust, which was catching that late afternoon glow and made for some pretty spectacular shots. Our hotel for the night was booked in Hughenden, a 5-hour drive from Longreach. This wasn’t a problem, however we were faced with the dilemma of either staying and shooting in this great light, but at the cost of driving to Hughenden in the dark. Jason warned me that driving in the dark would mean dodging a couple Kangaroos along the way, but I figured that the light was too good to pass up and that the night drive would be worth it. So we stayed.

We hit the first Kangaroo about 3 hours into the drive, which I must say, seemed to be pretty good considering the hundred we “creatively” dodged previous to that. It was a small young red that leapt out at the last second, leaving a nice dent in the front corner of our rental SUV’s bumper. A couple kilometers later we managed to brake and swerve, just clipping the tail of a larger ‘roo. From that point on, the remaining 150k into Hughenden consisted of me yelling to a very tired Jason “LEFT!”, “RIGHT!”, “LEFT AND RIGHT AND RIGHT AGAIN!”, “BRAKE!!!”. At times It seemed like they were just doing it to mess with us. We would see a group of them sitting still by the road and we would slow down, only to have them leap in front of our headlights at the very last possible second! Bastards. As we drove into Hughenden at around eleven to see the glowing lights of the Motel, I’m not sure if I was more relieved that I wasn’t running over ‘roos, or to finally wash off the cattle infused dust that covered me from head to toe. Needless to say, I slept well, and got to sleep in that night. Which is good because it was the only night of this whole trip that I’d get to do so.

Comments

1

I love Australia, lived there for a year. I'm from Chile and if i were able to write english a bit better i would have tried to win this competition hahaha
congratulations!

  nortina Oct 6, 2008 3:02 AM

2

Very well done Nelson. The writing nicely captures your excitement!

  Lee Nov 7, 2008 4:54 AM

About nelson-mouellic


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.