Existing Member?

Through My Eyes This is my journal, Through the lens takes you through my journey of discovery. My writing is investigate and opinionated. Sometimes controversial, but that is what writing and travelling is about, "how do you see it? "

Through My Lens Eyes

USA | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [189] | Scholarship Entry

Sometime we never really see our own wold the way it really is. Like a camera lens out of focus, there always seems to be something wrong with your world and you always want to change the lens, with the assumption that there something wrong with the lens. Sometime all the camera needs is an adjustment of the lens from the photographer, then you will get a better, clearer view of the world .

i decided to get a better view, a close-up of the worlds face. Me an African girl decided to a take journey to a country far from my own, where the grass was allegedly greener. I have always found South Africa one of the most beautiful countries i have ever seen, a country of diversity, culture and beauty. With a voice of eleven official languages, with more faces of culture then i have ever been able to count. A country that welcomes every race, from every country. But South Africa also has a face, of crime, racism & poverty. This is the lens that i do not want to capture through, pictures depicted in news paper & the p.m. news.

This is a world we have been bombarded with, the world in which you forget about the good, because the bad seems to be song like praises at every angle you turn. This is the kind of depictions of South Africa, that will make you believe there is a land far away, far better then your own, and land of milk and honey. The United States of America, where all your dreams come true, so the say.

So i hopped on a plane going to study and explore the big USA. Though the lens of my eyes i explored the the USA for the first time. I landed in Louisville Kentucky where i would spend most of my five months, being a student & radio presenter.

I set out to see as much as i can on next to no money, unlike my friends, who where from Europe whose currency could stand against the US dollar, my South African Rands couldn't. I made a way, i got involves with the local organisation and learnt more about American culture American people & the American political and economical sphere.

It seemed to me the more i found out the more i could relate. Just like my own country people here where facing similar issues. I travelled to Atlanta, Chicago, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Indiana, people are not that different.

The rich are rich, the poor are poor, from SA to the USA. We may be far apart, we may experience things differently, but they still affect us the same. Maybe if we all put our camera lens's on focus, we could see our own world better.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About naz-jey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.