Existing Member?

Binbonin por Aí

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - My little Myanmar delights

MYANMAR | Wednesday, 17 April 2013 | Views [236] | Scholarship Entry

The little kid, now turned into our Bagan temples’ guide, had directed us to one more sight. Once we arrived, we climbed up some stairs and at the top, two local ladies greeted us. I instantly walked away thinking they would, as usual, try to force us things we do not want to buy. The younger one complimented me and I instantly smiled at her. She was a few years younger than me and instead of instantly shoving things at me she wanted to talk. She finally caught my attention when my curly hair amazed her and she asked if she could touch it. Later she would grab my arms and walk around the temple, and her kind gestures melted me. We took photos together and I inquired her about her daily life – going to school, working and watching over her little brother, who, unsurprisingly, was our little guide. Her entertainment was meeting the many foreigners that would come her way throughout the day and learning a bit about their world. The kids in Myanmar had impressed me as they could say a few phrases in pretty much any language and when they would not know, they wanted us to teach them. My new friend had to work all right, so at the end of the journey she wanted me to at least check her crafts. I liked them and as usual I bargained for the two pieces I wanted. My boyfriend was laughing at me for being “tricked” so easily by this charming little lady. But one last moment made my day. As I tried bargaining for some pieces, she suggested we could each exchange a piece, as long the one I traded with her would be my lip balm. I thought no further and exchanged it with to her, and also paid for an extra piece of bowl. That simple request and the look of happiness when she tried the lip balm herself had brighten up my day and made me leave that Bagan temple as the most memorable one. We continued the tour with her brother and by the end of he also surprised us. When we asked how much we should pay for our guided tour with him the answer was “whatever we found reasonable”. After a little discussion with our group, we separated some money and gave him with a warning “Even if you take the money to your family, take a small portion for you. Buy yourself an ice cream or something yummy for the day! Ah, and do not leave school too early”. He nodded his head and went away in his way-too-big-for-his-size bicycle. Such an adorable family!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About natyrosa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.