Existing Member?

Canadian Adventure 2010

The Canadian adventure so far....

CANADA | Wednesday, 17 February 2010 | Views [248]

Well, I had originally said that I wouldn't write a blog as such - but here I am, adding my great adventure stories to cyberspace!! :) I spent the most amazing long weekend in Ottawa. Skating along the Rideau Canal was just so sureal. It was an absolute dream come true. I made the most of my time there are skated every day. I loved being able to skate along the canal, a unique experience. It will leave the usual oval style rinks for dead!! I have been spoilt for future skating.

I stayed in a quaint B&B close to downtown, but particularly close to the canal. The atmosphere was relaxed, the rooms were clean and the people were friendly. There I met a group of people from Vermont, in the US. We became acquainted over breakfast and they commandeered me into spending the day with them. It wasn't a hardship, as they were really lovely people and I enjoyed the day with them. We skated the entire length of the Rideau Canal - and back (16km)!! I enjoyed every moment, made even more special by the fact I had people to share it with. In the afternon, I went off to explore the city a little. I found many sites to see and visit, and liked the many unique and magnificent structures around.

That evening we spent time back at the B&B just sitting around, chatting. It was such an enjoyable night. Very relaxed and fun. They invited me to visit them in Vermont - so who knows, maybe my travels will take me to Vermont later in the year!!

Sunday morning I spent touring the Parliament buildings, both inside and out. The Neo-Gothic architecture really impressed me. The buildings were beautiful. I was particularly enchanted by the Library, which was enormous and filled with so many books! It was a magnificent and impressive room.

In the afternoon I travelled down to 'Winterlude' - the festival that had first bought me to Ottawa. I was impressed by the ice sculptures and the wintery scenery. It was here I tried my first 'Beavertail'. A delicious doughy concoction, covered in cinnamon and sugar. Ahhh... delicious! Later on, after skating along the canal by night, I tried a garlic and Cheese 'Beavertail'. An equally delicious taste!!

With such a pleasant experience in Ottawa, I am keen to return in the Summertime when everyone says that it is equally as beautiful. Next time, rather than skating on the canal, I will be tripping down it in a boat. I think I've fallen in love - Ottawa was such a beautiful place! :) 

 

About nattie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.