Existing Member?

A Night with Iwahig

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 5 April 2012 | Views [169] | Scholarship Entry

It is a fairytale scene coursing the deep, clear, ice-cold Iwahig River during the night's darkest hours, while surrounded with glowing bugs flashing their equally cold lights, illuminating the nilad, nipa, and tabigi, which are all varieties of the mangrove plant.

‘Am I dreaming,’ I think to myself. But I suddenly remembered arriving at the airport of Puerto Princesa. I remembered that upon alighting, I instantly feel that I was in a different dimension. The air smelled different, like fresh leaves and blooming flowers.

Yes, I am really in Palawan. I am really cruising the peaceful Iwahig River under the moonless night. The water in the river also sparkles with every swish of the oar and with every movement that the boat creates. The plankton shine more intensely as we immersed our hands in the water. The boatman proudly tells us that the swarms of fireflies twinkling like Christmas lights and the glimmering plankton manifest how clean the Iwahig River is, as these organisms are environment indicators that only thrive in clean places. He adds that the natives put efforts in maintaining the cleanliness not only of the River but also of the whole of Palawan, and that the natives do not allow use of motored boats in the Iwahig River because the noise and the pollutants that these kind of boats produce will drive away the fireflies and kill the plankton. I cannot help but be amazed on how they take care of their environment. As the boat cruises the river, I hoped that Manila Bay could be as clean as the Iwahig and that the urban people in Manila could be as sensitive as the Palawan folks.

The sight is wondrous to behold. It is only quite upsetting that my camera could not capture the glimmers because it is too dark, so I just let my heart seize the experience as the plankton and fireflies light up in unison, replicating the twinkling of the stars.

Iwahig indeed captivated me. Amidst its darkness, I found light and inspiration.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About natpardo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.