Existing Member?

Backpacking by Nat

An Adventure On The Canals

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 21 December 2016 | Views [218]

Journeying on the canals, it's been something I've wanted to do for a while. I was amazed when I found a Canal boat hostel and even more amazed that some friends were up for it to! So 9 of us boarded Rakiraki, the Wandering Duck one Friday night in Congleton.

We were given a quick tour of the boat (quick being the main word) then the hosts cooked us an amazing dinner of Chilli con Carne with an Apple Crumble for desert, yum!

Underway

The the morning we set off after breakfast. We cruised along the canal for about an hour and a half before we reached some locks. Then it was time to all get to work to get Rakiraki up a stairway of 12 locks! Once it was explained, it was pretty easy. We all got turns of working the locks and steering the boat through!

The next obstacle on the canal was a road bridge that needed to be moved. This was done with a key and a press of a button.

We stopped for the night in Bollington. We arrived there early enough to complete the short climb to White Nancy. A steep, muddy, fun climb! We even had an hour or so after returning to the boat to freshen up before heading to the pub for dinner.

We had dinner at the Vale Inn, it was good pub grub. Then we wandered to the other pub in the village before heading back to the boat!

The Final Day

The last day on Rakiraki started with a short cruise and then we all jumped off so that we could walk to Lyme Park. We would meet Rakiraki again futher up the canal. There was plenty of time to complete the walk, but not enough time to look around the house. We managed to get up to the 'Cage' but it was closed for an event! Since it's not too far I must go back soon!

After returning to Rakiraki and having lunch it waas just a short cruise to the end of the trip, well a couple of hours. We ended in Marple, from where we could get the train home.

My Overall Feelings Of The Trip

I loved my time on the canals. It was very relaxing. There was plenty of time to just relax as we cruised along, a good couple of walks and chance to help with the operating of the boat and locks. I am now sorely tempted to get a canal boat!

Tags: boat, canal

 

About natpacker


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.