Existing Member?

Extraordinary satay

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [150] | Scholarship Entry

Extraordinary satay

We heard a scrawny man who pushes forward his little tiny cart for miles nearly everyday, shouting “Sateee!” The characters coming from his mouth is lengthy and unique. But the topic is not about satay he sells, which is not just ordinary small pieces of meat roasted on skewer that is sold in a brim areas at dawn, whose aroma could stay for a real long time on your clothes and hair. This is not a kind of satay with. sweet brown soy and peanut sauce. This is a different kind of satay called sate padang, originates from West Sumatra, Indonesia.

Distinctive feature of sate padang is pictured by some bananas leaves that becomes its plate that looks like some piles of green The meat is shaped in disarray dice form, and it is wrapped in thin yellow colored sauce, not the kind of bright yellow like the hot sun that children always draw with their crayon, it is a soft yellow with a real strong taste topped by fresh fried onion.

Speaking about West Sumatera cuisine. In restaurants who serve West Sumatera cuisine, where sate padang come from, there is always genuine medal dwelling at the top of the front gate, pointed just like a buffalo's horn.. Young males in white homogeneous uniform place from 10 to 15 plates on their arms to be put orderly in a simple table. They serve their guests back and forth quickly . Besides, they are also capable to count the bills of abundant food without any calculation device except a paper and pen they got while seeing what has left on the table. I wonder what will they count if the plates are over the stream.

Accidentally, someone spill a whole bucket of beef, pouring all over the floor. Perfect texture of turmeric, coriander, galangal root, cumin, curry powder and sparkle of salt stained the floor. Well, we couldn’t do anything. The eminent ingredients processed in the galley is fiery red chilies, highly seasonings and spices symbolizing folk special characteristic: tactful and productive in trade dealings.


Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About natnat


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.