Existing Member?

Adventure in an Unknown Culture

Adventure into an Unknown Culture

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [1004] | Scholarship Entry

As we drove through the overhanging Karri trees, I explained the Aboriginal legend to this sacred place.  To my surprise, after a rib nudge from the central princess, the outer adolescents removed their ear plugs and provided me with their attention.

Meekadarbee Cave

I read “From the Homestead you can find a walk trail that leads to a cave at Meekadarbee Falls. In Aboriginal legend, the cave is where the spirits of lovers, Mitanne & Nobel live. Listen carefully to hear their laughter echoing in the waterfall. "

As the car stopped, their attention turned to the dense bushland beyond the carved wooden sign “Welcome Ellensbrook Homestead.” We stood in front of an historic stone homestead, with a roughly laid sandstone chimney towering above the corrugated iron roof. The wooden framed windows and doors interrupted the white walls in stark contrast to the surrounding green manicured lawn, below the clear blue sky. The words “Once upon a time...” scrolled across the scene.

Ellensbrook Homestead

The two adolescents were off. The grey stone path led past the National Trust site, to which the ol’ man was drawn. The princess grabbed my hand, as the path transformed to a rickety wooden walk way laid just above the forest floor to protect this wonderland of Mother Nature. Alongside the walkway of weathered tuart and jarrah timbers, we found golden orchids with fiery hearts.

 “Listen” I whispered, as I pulled the princess closer. “Can you hear Nobel and Mitanne?”  She stopped suddenly, took a sharp breath and then ran off in excitement, yelling “Yeah sure, and I’m the Boogie man!!” The timbers thundered as she ran away, but then suddenly stopped. “Wow, I’ve found the diary of Ellen”. Thinking she was making up a story, I went along with the fantasy. “What does it say?”

Ellen's Diary

“Along time ago there was a young girl called Mitanne, who spent her time exploring caves and strange places”. I listened as my princess continued her story. My mind wondered off as I admired the grandeur of the weeping peppermint trees, the jade and emerald canopy and the rustling russet carpet. I caught up to her. She was standing facing the cave, “You foolish girl. You should have turned your eyes away. To gaze upon Meeka in the water brings death and sorrow” These weren’t words she’d made up. She had found a diary. I sat and listened as my empress executed the story.

The Diary at Meekadarbee Cave

“What a magical place” I added as I grabbed her hand to lead her through the remainder of the path. “Look at all these people who were awoken by your story” I pointed out the blackened faces that appeared in the knotted trunks of the towering peppermint trees.

Twisted wooded faces

All of a sudden two teenagers emerged from their exploration adventure, heaving with excitement as they both unravelled their tales of discovery. The ol’ man surfaced at the end of the trail, as we turned our attention to our patriarch, with the expectation he would lead us home.

Patriarch, lead us home

Tags: #2011writing, aboriginal legend, ellensbrook homestead, margaret river, mekadarbee falls, travel writing scholarship 2011

 

About natmatmoonshine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.