Existing Member?

The Birds Sacntuary

Parque das Aves (Bird Park)

BRAZIL | Friday, 8 May 2015 | Views [173] | Scholarship Entry

Stepping one foot inside the Bird Park of Foz do Iguaçu brought me a feeling of entering a sanctuary where numerous of species co-exist in a harmony of colors and sounds.

Located in the heart of the rain forest that consist the national park of Iguaçu (the home of the breathtaking Cataratas), the “Parque das Aves” it’s a magical temple where I felt like I was the one inside cages, being observed by more than a thousand birds from around 150 species, who were just living their lives on their natural habitat.

I was so mistaken: this is no zoo! There isn’t one bird on the park that has been capture just for the exhibition porpoise. All of them were taken into care from different reasons, such as injuries, dangerous of extinguishing, reproduction…

The whole tour consisted of experiencing what it is like to be on a real rain forest, with all our different senses working to improve the experience. But I could not let go our main one: feeling!

At some point, we entered a place with no gates, no safety nets… Just the nature, the birds and us. They flied free towards everywhere, including the pack of astonished visitors… No fear. Just posing for pictures, playing with the kids and even taking a dump on the heads of some lucky gests!

But the park has other amazing surprises besides the beautiful birds: reptiles! Yes… Gators, lizards, turtles and the most fascinating creatures in my humble opinion, snakes – which I felt, grabbed and posed for a picture with!

It’s an amazing place to go with kids, but it is also such a life changing experience for adults as well. I felt so humble by mother earth, and had in urge to be more conscious bout our planet and all its natural beauty.

We need to explore the world, get in touch with the unknown and fight harder to preserve it!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About nathaliadepolo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.