Existing Member?

gudeg as Jogjakarta traditional food

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [59] | Scholarship Entry

About 5 years ago, when i was in highschool, i tried one meal that has a very unique taste. I tried it when i went to Jogjakarta, a city in middle of Java. This food is named gudeg. This wss the side dish of my rice. Gudeg is one of traditional food on Jogjakarta. This dish is made by a unripe jackfruit, one of tropical fruit from Indonesia. When this food on my table, i suddenly sttared my plate with awkward looks. Just imagine if you just have brown and white on your plate. This brown pale colour looks disguiting and hidious. Then i started to skim through my dish. I felt a weird texture. Just like a food that is cooked in a boiled water too long. It was just too soft for a dish. But wait, it wasn't finish. Not only colour and texture, aroma of gudeg is undesire. it was untasty, there was sweet taste only. It was weird for a dish. Honestly i was so doubt about eat gudeg in that time.

Finnaly, i took a spoon of gudeg. My mouth started close, then my teeth chewed slowly, forced my lips to taste. I tasted some kind of sweetness, a little salty, but still sweet. Very unique. This sweetness is fit with the softness of hot rice in the night of Jogjakarta. The texture made me easy to chew those food. I guess i have to confess that i started to like this meal.

From that momment, i suddenly think about Jogjakarta community. I though that just a simple and humble person that can make a food like this. It is a good way of thinking when we use a natural resource for make a good food. You don’t have to cook the fat free steak hardly and eat a healthy salad everyday. Gudeg is one of the food that not only cheap but also tasty and healthy.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About natasyadameria


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.