Existing Member?

NatalieGreenland

Trip which has changed the course of my life.

USA | Tuesday, 15 April 2014 | Views [195] | Scholarship Entry

The USA. I was applying to Camp America Program three times before I actually ended up there. I was a student, working at my father’s store, cross stitching at nights for my neighbor’s exhibition of clothes and earning and saving money for my trip by all means. By the time when I already passed I didn’t really want to go there but my motivation at that time was to actually start speaking English language as it was my major at the university, so I had to go without any excitement though. First I was assigned to go to Pennsylvania but later I got an email telling me that it had been changed to California. I looked at the map and saw my route: from Moscow to New York and then all the way to Los Angeles. I was shocked!
Note book. When you are not able to speak a foreign language you have to do something not to go crazy. Diary is a good mean. As a piece of advice, always make your notes during your trips. At the beginning my notes were totally in Russian then it was a mix of Russian and English and by the end all in English. I started thinking in English. The goal was fulfilled.
But apart from learning the language I have also experienced horse riding, ice skating, climbing, roller skating, bowling, softball; driving in LA in an emergency van pretending being medical students. I have visited Hard Rock cafe, Hollywood, Walk of Fame, Malibu, Santa Monica, Las Vegas, Seattle, New York, etc.
We had a flight via London where we managed to walk through all the city and also visit Soho. I have tasted Philadelphia cheese, peanut butter, burritos, etc.
Even though I wasn't excited when I started this trip it turned out to be the action which has changed the course of my life. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” –said Michael Palin. This was my first trip and I was hooked on travel. California is the best state in the USA. The nature is so variable and marvelous: you can find mountains, deserts, lakes, forests, ocean.
Learning a new language and traveling to a different country has enriched my life so much. I also made a very important conclusion that while remembering your goal you also should enjoy the every day live.
Now when I am doing photography I feel sorry I didn’t have a camera at that time to capture all the beauty of this great country but I hope that some day my dream project of visiting all states of the US will come true.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About nataliegreenland


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.