Existing Member?

Forests and Wind Chimes

A Drawbridge Trap

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [92] | Scholarship Entry

A gorgeous day sat solemnly in its throne of the glaring sunlight. I was standing at the slightly crisped surface of the Gulf of Finland, trying to recollect all the incredible experience we had together here. That was our first time in St. Petersburg – the city of efflorescence of verdant flowers and ancient cathedrals.
That was the period I was going through a very hard time of my life at university, feeling caught in a trap by my occupation that I did not like much, but dropping was out of the question.
So, I was standing there with the sun cascading down my face and carrying me away from the reality. The scene around was mysteriously well decorated for the act. The land was sinking in the water creating an impression that someone had made this masterpiece on purpose. He scattered warm stones all over the shore with solicitude, planted seeds to grow the weeping willows that admire themselves at the reflection in the water and created white nights, so that even dark would not dare to disturb the beauty.
The main goal of our adventure was watching the drawbridge opening at night. A tiny fragile boat conveyed us to Vasilyevsky Island where we had about an hour to spend and then should have got back to the water. But we did not. The reason was simple: we got lost. To the time, we found the right side of the island the boat had departed, leaving us watching the last way out from the trap closing. The drawbridge was like a nocturnal creature who slowly and exquisitely barred the ways to its victims. Panic attack choked me: we are on the island at night, alone and desperate, what should we do?
In an hour, we found ourselves in a local bar where young men gave dance lessons for free. A sweet little hotel nearby was perfect to spend the night in. The matter was settled, and while I was twirling in my crimson skirt, several days of the trip flashed before my eyes. I understood that each difficulty could be solved, no matter how intricate it is. Freedom in every respect is not something given to us; it is the thing, which cannot be taken away. And while my teacher was showing me the movements of the dance, I felt I was falling in love. Not with the man. With life.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About natalie_sl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.