Existing Member?

Greenstories

Gerakini

GREECE | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [231] | Scholarship Entry

Nowadays people are busy. Always busy. Especially those, who live in big cities. Fixed ideas of climbing their career ladders and doing something worthy chase their minds and make people rush like squirrels in treadmills. But sometimes the feeling that the city absorbs all your vital resources becomes so agonizing, that you can’t ignore it anymore. One of the best ways to restore your life energy is to set off. But where can a tired mind find a safe and gentle shelter?
I can definitely recommend Sithonia – the central part of Chalkidiki peninsula, Greece. More than 70% of its territory belongs to the natural reserve. You’ll find there neither pompous luxurious hotels, nor crowded snack-bars with barkers, pressing you to drop in, resounding a noisy bund flooded with people.
One morning I woke up at dawn and felt the appeal to meet the sea. Gerakini, a peaceful village I was staying at, greeted me with mild sun rays lightening the dewy air, impregnated with health-giving aroma of the Mediterranean flora. On my way to the sea I came across a beautiful spider Argiope lobate, recognizable by specific zigzag sign on her web. She was enjoying the refreshing morning, it seemed.
When I reached the sea, I was enchanted by the scenery! The view of absolute calm opened to me. Mirror-like surface of the water looked more like a glassy mountain lake. No doubt, the charm of the nature would revive even a world-weary person and make everyone inclined to meditate.
After sitting at the edge of the sea for a while, I plunged into the water. When I was waist-deep, the magic of the underwater world started showing through the crystal-clear water. Curious little fishes were intricately dancing around me, as if they were inviting the new guest to play with them. I was happy I took my swim goggles and scuba tube, as when I swam deeper, the diversity of the sea dwellers turned out to be so terrific, that I didn’t want to miss a second of those breathtaking moments. As far as the natives live in chime with wild nature, fishes there are not afraid of people. Maybe that’s why there was a 7 inches long gilt-head sea bream (Sparus aurata) staring right at my face. I could almost touch him! But at the last moment he remembered that personal space is above all and swam away.
It was so captivating pastime that I didn’t want to leave. But if you’re not a mermaid, sooner or later, you have to get back on the shore. I said “Goodbye!” to my new friends and made my way towards the solid land..

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About natalialkon


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.