Existing Member?

Inspiration inside

Hidden Danger

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [245] | Scholarship Entry

I felt myself completely isolated from the rest of the world while trying to start the engine of a boat which had broken down 5 minutes before. Honestly, I wasn’t all alone; my junior cousin was sitting near and sulking. Our parents were on shore but we’re sailing on Lake Baikal which is located on the east of Siberia, surrounded by the Taiga – the greatest and one of the most dangerous forests. I’m not going to frighten you, Siberia is the place I was born in and got accustomed to live. However, I need to explain the background; so, we’re going back to a few hours ago.
I can’t stand doing nothing while travelling. Sunbathing or doing senseless shopping are the things I’m trying to avoid. However, these are activities my father forced me to spend time on while he was fishing days and nights. I was also forced to look after my bad-tempered younger cousin, Matvey, so, the holidays promised to be dreadful. Nevertheless, I wasn’t going to give up and decided to make a short trip along the coast of the Baikal to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and the silence opposite to hustle and bustle of my home town. So, I suggested Matvey going and we sailed away. The first 2 hours were amazing – I’d never seen before such a spectacular and breathtaking view of the water surface spreading for miles forward. I took in big breaths of the sweet fresh air which cleared my mind and made me wondering if I could stay in that moment till kingdom comes… Sooner than we could have expected, the sun was rolling to the sunset. Having the last glance at the peaceful sun and feeling the tranquil atmosphere, we decided to go back. That is a turning point in my narration. The engine of the boat crashed while I was unsuccessfully trying to start it. Moreover, it was a nightfall bringing lower temperature (despite a middle of the summer, the temperature difference between day and night could be up to 20’C) and total darkness around. Needless to say, I was more than embarrassed. It was only my fault and I was in charge of my cousin that was worse. I asked myself: “How did I end up here?” There were 2 completely different feelings I had: peace and fear. Incredibly, but they differed in time only for 5 minutes. Fortunately, that was only 15-minute hitch and the engine eventually started working, so that we came back to the shore being safe and sound. However, this is a kind of life changing experience which I faced up to being a 16-year old girl to be never forgotten even when retired.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About natabalog

Santorini

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.