Existing Member?

Where are we now - The photo's tell the story An update on the where-abouts of Nat & Chris' epic RTW journey.

Washington DC

USA | Tuesday, 15 May 2007 | Views [518] | Comments [1]

We arrived in Washington without any problem.  We arrived early enough in the afternoon that we were able to get a half day sightseeing on our first night of a 2 night stay.  We visited the Monument, Capitol Hill, Lincoln Memorial, White House, Reflecting Pool, Korean and World War II Memorials all in the first evening before settling in for a nice Japanese dinner and bed.  It was awesome to see social softball games lining the mall from one end to the other (we thought about buying a carton and joining in the action but unfortunatley were not wearing any team colours). What a busy and successful day.  Highlight would have to have been the Lincoln Memorial reading the speech he wrote to set in motion the abolition of slavery and standing where MLK JR delivered his "I have a dream" speech.

The next day we visited the Holocaust Museum (once again people still brought to tears from memories or young people now made aware of the horrific truths), Natural History Museum, Air and Space Museum and the Spy Museum.  Yes we were a bit museumed out by the end of the day!  Nat was mistaken for a Californian by security, she was pretty chuffed as what followed was "yer purdy" from the African American woman.

Washington was amazingly beautiful and clean.  A place with an enormous amount of history, an absolute joy to visit.  Junior was challenged to a "Collosus" Burger at Ruby Tuesdays, our waiter (Kevin) had never seen anyone finish the burger before, of course the big guy smashed it in record time.  Kevin's service was the best we've had in the whole USA/Canada, bout time!!  Absolutely loved the way that the city was designed: streets run from A to Z and are intersected by streets running 1st, 2nd, etc. (even Nat could find her way around).

* It was police week in DC whilst we were there.  On the news was a story showing complaints from residents about out of town cops making too much noise, obviously they were trying to make full use of their time off and misbehaving.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

We really enjoyed sightseeing in DC - museums are wonderful and the memorials so powerful. Did you see the Lone Soldier in Arlington cemetery? You will be getting a reputation for fast eating of fast food Christopher. Nan couldn't belileve you could eat so much so quickly and such unhealthy food.

  Margret May 28, 2007 11:57 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.