Existing Member?

Started with a passion for writing at a young age, though discouraged. But I will pursue my dreams.

Getting lost provides new adventures

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [109] | Scholarship Entry

It was a warm and quiet day in Spring when I was catching a bus home from school. Daydreaming, I hadn't even noticed that I had taken the wrong bus.
Realising that I had been on the bus for some time, I looked out the window and saw a place that was not familiar to me. There was a thick layer of trees bordering the winding road that the bus travelled along, broken up by occasional vast properties with paddocks of horses, cows or sheep. The houses looked almost ancient, yet still resonated with a modern touch. Long driveways lined with pretty bushes of exotic flowers stretched down to the houses porches. Each house, had a similar beautiful vintage feel, yet each were so very different from each other. They were all similarly beautiful yet beautifully distinct. Distanced from each other with paddocks of lush green grass and lakes, it was almost as though each property was frozen in time. As though each different property was a different land, each holding it's very own magic.
I had never seen the beauty of these houses before. And in this moment my eyes wandered across the houses in both awe and fright. I did not know where I was. How did I end up here?
Many thoughts crossed my mind.. should I stay on the bus? Should I get off? It seemed as though I had drifted from civilisation, there were no people on the street, no shops around- just these beautiful houses on their extensive properties. I thought about getting off the bus and perhaps getting the next bus back the other way, yet I couldn't bring myself to press the button- still mesmerised with the beauty of this road, I wanted to see what else it brought. As a few minutes passed while I made up my mind, I noticed the properties getting smaller, the houses built closer together. The road transformed into what looked like an ordinary suburb road filled with houses and children playing outside. It was only moments between the feeling like I was in the middle of the bush, to when I was suddenly plummeted right into a suburb.
Funnily enough, I looked up at some street signs and were surprised to find that some were oddly familiar. I thought for sure I was ages away from home, yet here I was in the suburb that was right next to the one I lived in! I stayed on the bus for only a minute more and found myself at a main road, and got off the bus quickly.
How could it be that something so beautiful was so close to my home and I never knew it? It just goes to show that getting lost can always provide new adventures.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About naomis-journey


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.