Existing Member?

Nanski

My Video scholarship 2010 entry: This is Couch Surfing.

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 25 July 2010 | Views [571] | Scholarship Entry

Couch Surfing is an online community of remarkable travellers, journalists,
philosophers, musicians, teachers, students and people who simply want to explore
the world at an even greater level. The inspiration for this documentary, really came about after I had randomly flicked through some profiles of Couch Surfers in various countries. A part of myself was excited about the prospect of meeting these people during my travels in the future, but quite a significant part of me fairly skeptical. Could people really be this geunine and why would they want to offer their place to complete strangers from the other side of the world?

The piece was always going to be a collection of stories, a sort of showcase of the life of a Couch Surfer. In term of the narrative, it was difficult to find a drive for the documentary. I felt that there needed to be a segue which allowed the story to move from one person to the next. However, as the filming of the documentary progressed, I found that the people themselves provided the connections. I felt that their differences and commonality, supported the 'collective' feel of the film and added a new perspective to the stories.

After hopping onto a budget airline, with my camera, tripod, pack and arriving in a country which I could not communicate in, I knew that it was going to be quite the challenge. It was particularly difficult to focus on the technical aspect of the documentary while trying to build a report with my interviewees. I wasn't able to focus on sound and camera while doing the activities with people, which was frustrating and has caused missed opportunities. The fact that I was holding a camera in front of my face also acted as a deterrent for most people who I was speaking to.

My ambition as a documentary maker is pure and simple. To record geunine stories and maintain integrity within the stories that I tell. I'm still only 22, so I understand that patience is important for me. I'm lucky enough to know what I want to do with my life. I just need to maintain my passion for discovering new ideas and stories. 

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship, couch suring, cs house, documentary, japan, new zealand, people, travel

About nanski


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.