Existing Member?

Miss Bootsie On Tour I haven't seen it all ... but I'm giving it my best shot :)

The Amazing Wedding of Scotty ( a truly beautiful man) and Joey Jo Jo Jr Shabadoo … And Other bits

INDONESIA | Thursday, 27 October 2011 | Views [879]

Bali was always that part of my trip that was hanging about far off in the distant future, so you can imagine how excited I was when it finally came around! For anyone who doesn’t know, I tacked a Bali trip onto my adventure so I could attend the wedding of my dear friends Scott and Jo. For any of our friends who couldn’t make the trip let me just say…. You missed out chumps because it was amazing!!!

 

So I left for the airport in Phnom Penh at 5am, had a big layover in Kuala Lumpur and finally arrived in Bali at about 10pm at night. Considering all that I was in a pretty cheery mood and made it safely to my hostel and reveled in the upmarket swanky style of Bali vs Cambodia.  For the record I would like to say that The Island Hotel in Legian was great value and very very nice… not quite the same standard as all my mates were staying in… but for a backpacker 4 months into her travels it was spectacular. By the time I was settled and ready to go find some dinner it was about 11:30pm, which I quickly discovered is the witching hour in Legian where all the drunk Aussie bogan guys rip off their shirts and wander about the streets screaming at moto drivers. Aaaaaaaaaaah Bali… where the drunk Aussie bogan can live out their dreams of being a billionaire.

 

The very next day I took myself off to The Padma Resort to meet my old boss Tessa for breakfast and a good strong dose of hotel envy. We ate fancy and expensive salads by the pool and swapped stories from the last few months. I also behaved myself and tried not to get noticed in case they threw the scummy backpacker out of the hotel pool ;) Then we shared a cab up to Ubud in the afternoon so her hubby Carlos could play about on his scooter and we could shop and eat amazing banana splits!  Let me just say the shopping in Ubud is dangerous. Tessa headed back to Legian ( to my dismay) and I hung around Ubud for another few days lazing by the pool and buying more shoes, clothes and bags than I could fit into my bag.

 

I soon found myself back in Legian where I quickly found the soon-to-be-weds drinking by the pool. Suffice to say beers were drunk, hugs were plentiful, Jo was veeeeeeeeeeeery excited/ nervous, gossip was swapped and a drunken indian in a head dress presented Scott and Jo with commemorative ‘marriage necklaces’. Scott’s was made of cows teeth… which I found a lot funnier than he did. Jo had had enough low fat vodka lime and soda’s to think that it was important ( no mandatory) for them to wear the necklaces… which I also found a lot funnier than Scott did.

 

I left them to make this decision without me and wandered over to Bec and Pizzeys hotel room. The wonderful Pizzey family had obliged to let me sleep on the couch for the night, seeing as how I am Bec’s favorite scummy backpacker/ best friend. They weren’t home, but they had kindly left the door open for me… or so I thought. When they returned from dinner it became apparent that they were surprised to find me stretched out on the couch reading Woman’s Day. There was some short lived finger pointing between Pizzey and Bec’s dad about who had left the door unlocked, but Bec and I ignored them and enjoyed our reunion. Michael ( the new baby) was asleep as per usual, but James ( the old baby ;) was wide awake and just kept looking at me saying, ‘Noooooooooooooooooo nooooooooooooooo nooooooooooooo.’ I won him over with a monkey puppet I bought him in Cambodia and all was well.

 

Bright and early the next morning I met Cal and Eri at the ferry and we headed off for a few days to the island of Gili Trawangan to do some diving. More hugs, more catch up and the formation of a street gang of divers called The Zany Divers ( possibly inspired by the Tough Brett’s) followed. There are no cars on Gili T, so the three of us piled into the back of a horse and cart buggy for a short, cramped and uncomfortable ride to our guest house, Marta’s. I am pleased to say the horse survived the trip… but there were times when we all doubted it’s strength and felt embarrassed by the fact that the back of the buggy was dragging along the street.

 

First afternoon we headed to Big Bubble and met our dive instructor ( name escapes me… and I was never actually sure what he was saying). At 2pm we suited up and headed out under the waves. For the next two days dived around the island sites and saw Hawksbill Turtles, Green Turtles, millions of fish, crayfish, sting rays, octopus and much much more. Cal and Eri have an amazing underwater casing for their camera so eventually I will load some pictures. Cal saw a shark on his way up, Eri was bitten by a vicious rouge trigger fish and I had my first experience of drift diving. An experience to say the least! The Trigger fish comment is not a joke, it bit her, scared the crap out of her and left a nasty set of fang marks around her ankle. The Zany Divers now have a score to settle biyatch!!!!

 

The three of us also hired bikes one afternoon to ride around the island and watch the sunset. We made a game of it and stopped at every beach bar we passed to have a beer, a delightful game which I think we should re-enact when I get home. Small problem, large sections of the road were huge sand traps and we actually ended up walking our bikes for about 60% of the ride. On the plus side we saw the beautiful sunset and had an adventure together… but the walking the bikes part did suck. Gili T has plenty of sea food BBQ restaurants, which we sampled, and beachside bars, which we sampled, and massage shops, which we sampled. Comment of the trip would have to go to Callum who asked us, ‘ This isn’t a hell girly drink is it?’ as he sipped on a Scallywag’s Illusion. Callum, Erica and I lied… it was pretty girly but we love you anyway and thanks’ for the Travelcalm and antihistamines ;) Awesome trip with great company xox

 

Back in Legian we met up with the rest of the wedding crew who were propping up the bar at The Legian Pub ( seriously did the woodvale boys even leave that place???). Caught up with more buddies from home and then handed Scott over to the boys while the ladies headed over to the Niksoma to have a drink with Jo. Word to the wise, don’t buy a jug of juice at the Niksoma… it is laughably expensive. Ladies went to bed early to prepare and the gentlemen… did not.

 

So the main event, the wedding of Scott Haliburton and Joanne Palmer, was perfect. The setting was tropical and lovely, the groom looked handsome and the bride was so so very beautiful. Frangipani’s, lanterns, white linen tablecloth’s, banana leaf place settings, sunset and the BEST WEDDING PLAYLIST EVER!!! Jo I always knew you had great taste in music… but babe that was a masterpiece xox All up it was a great night of dancing, laughs and great friends. On the record, Tom Passey I did not only ask you to dance because you were the last one sitting down ;) Also… who broke my fan??? Was it Smithy or Gus????

 

The next morning I was feeling ‘tired and emotional’, but I still dragged myself out of bed and headed to the Safari Park with the Pizzey family. I won’t say what happened on the drive there, but lets just say I re-enacted  the 2005 elephant trek incident. Still, I pulled through and had a great day with Bec, Pizzey and the kids… and an elephant sprayed me with water which James ( and more so Bec) found hilarious. Safari park was great fun, but even better for watching the look on James face every time he saw an new animal! Finished the day with dinner at a German restaurant ??? ( Tom suggested it… he’s so weird ;) Some drunk random at the bar found out that Scott and Jo had just gotten married and bought them cake, which I thought was sweet but others thought was creepy.

 

Next day I joined the Pizzeys again to take the boys to Waterbomb Park. Took Michael ( the most chilled baby ever) swimming while Bec and Piz took James on slides, only to find out after the fact that he usually screams a lot when you take him in the water. Cheers for that Bec. Did some slides with James, floated in the river, ate some corn, surrendered my lunch to James and chilled out with Bec. All up lovely day with lovely family, cheers Bec and Pizzey for adopting me for a few days xoxo After the park I met up with the others for one final drink before we all scattered again to the four corners of the globe. Missing lots of you already xox Some of you not at all ;)

 

And then it was over… my last day in Bali involved the beach, a good book, a massage and a goodbye mexican dinner with the lovely newlyweds. Cheers to Scotty and Shabs for putting on an awesome wedding and I know you will have an amazing honeymoon xox

 

About nadi-boots

Rotto- just so I don't forget what I'm coming home to ;)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.