Existing Member?

Miss Bootsie On Tour I haven't seen it all ... but I'm giving it my best shot :)

A Humbling Experience in Luang Prabang

LAOS | Friday, 16 September 2011 | Views [562]

Hey everyone,

This last week has been a real adventure, crossing from Northern Thailand into Laos and slowly cruising down the Mekong River on a boat full of great people who made the trip lots of fun. I will expand on all of that, but this is just a short post to tell you about the very rewarding morning I spent at Big Brother Mouse, in Luang Prabang.

Big Brother Mouse is an organization in Laos that works to help Lao people improve their English skills and to distribute books (in Lao and English) to the children in villages throughout Laos.

This morning I went to the shop/office located in Luang Prabang with another couple I have been traveling with for the past week. At Big Brother Mouse, Emma, Phil and I spent about two hours talking with Lao students and assisting them with their English. The young man I was helping was called Shaun and he is in his fifth year studying law. When he is not taking classes at university, Shaun comes to the Big Brother Mouse shop/office in the mornings to practice his English. In the afternoons he spends time working on his Chinese… if he can fit it in with working too.

Shaun is hoping to get a good job within the government after he completes his law degree, but he must be fluent in English if he hopes to do this.

Emma and I spent some time helping Shaun to understand the definitions of different English words and phrases that he had copied out for this purpose. The list included some very complex vocabulary, and when we questioned him on its origins he explained that he had been listening to the political speeches of Barack Obama on the internet and copied down any terms he did not understand.

After we had assisted him with definitions for all the words on his list we listened to a speech he was preparing (in English) for his law class and helped him to correct some minor grammar flaws. For the most part it was very well done and I couldn’t help but be impressed by his hard work and dedication.

Afterwards we chatted for a little while about his life in Laos, our lives in England and Australia and some of those universal things in between.

Laos is supposedly one of the twenty poorest nations in the world, not hard to believe when you travel outside the major towns. Still, the people have an amazing warmth and friendliness that I have not seen to the same extent in other countries. In their language the words for mine and yours are actually the same, which explains a lot about their peaceful demeanor.

After we had finished chatting with the students Emma, Phil and I each paid 100,000kip ($12.50 AUD) to buy a pack of ten books that will be distributed to children in the villages around Laos. It felt great to be able to give something, no matter how small, back to a country that seems to have so little.

Chatting to Shaun and the other students it is apparent that they are working so hard to better their situations, and also that of their local communities. I was both humbled and impressed by their hard work, determination and positive attitudes.

A pretty great way to spend the morning xox Nads

About nadi-boots

Rotto- just so I don't forget what I'm coming home to ;)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.