Existing Member?

My 2013 Sholarship Entry

Climbing the Depth of my Soul.

IRELAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

Landing in Dublin airport for the fifth time in my life, I didn’t expect to see more of Ireland in a week then I had in the year that I lived there before. I always knew and had this quaint sensation that behind the walls of Ireland’s youth lay such a spiritual and unique heritage. And so, two days after arriving I had the overwhelming pleasure to travel the west coast of Ireland. Although small in size, this beloved country holds a certain magnificence to it. It wasn’t until I climbed Croagh Patrick in Westport, Co. Mayo that I finally realized it. Here amongst these small old-world towns full of pubs and tourists rested what is known as The Holy Mountain. Looking at it from afar it does indeed leave you with the impression of being Holy and majestic. Towering up over 2,500 feet, it left me weary of its heights. Yet as I started to walk up its side, I felt at ease seeing the many children and family on their descend and passing me by. Climbing its rocky terrain, losing my breath and stopping every few minutes, the thought of the many pilgrimages on this very mountain dating back as far as 5,000 years ago almost brought me to my knees. Especially towards the top of the mountain where climbing literally meant climbing and holding onto rocks that shifted, slided and crumbled beneath you. It made me wonder how the many feet climbing before me hadn’t pushed all the rocks downhill upon reaching its summit. It was hard, but climbing that mountain was as if I was climbing the depth of my soul. Reaching the top and looking all around me, I didn’t feel sore or tired, but rather alive and full of awe. Looking in the distance at the many tiny islands and mountainous landscapes, it was as if I were looking at an oil painting. I was reminded of the movie “What Dreams May Come” where the afterlife is full with colour and a certain impression that we are out of this world. But I wasn’t, I was witness to the many magical sights right here on Earth. Being in nature somehow seems to remind me over and over again how easy it can be to connect to the world. There is no easier way to feel connected our ancestors, than to just be with nature. Exploring its many intricacies and breathing a universal breath. It doesn’t necessarily need to be across the world, for I truly believe that this emotion of oneness can be felt right there at home, on a morning walk or an evening stroll. All you have to do is take the time, and allow yourself to explore. It's what life is all about.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About mysolojourney


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.