Existing Member?

a journey with nomads

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 5 April 2012 | Views [312] | Scholarship Entry

Before explaining the main topic I would like to ask some questions, then in response of those questions I will explain my topic. In my topic there are three words which need individual explanation and also there interrelationship. The first word is ‘culture’, ‘food’ and understanding.
Now my first question is what is culture?What are the main components of culture? What is the relationship between food and culture? And the final question is how we can understand culture through food? And this is the central objective of my essay. Moving towards the first step of my topic let’s know what is culture?
The word culture has many different meanings. For some it refers to an appreciation of good literature, music, art, and food. For a biologist, it is likely to be a colony of bacteria or other microorganisms growing in a nutrient medium in a laboratory Petri dish. However, for anthropologists and other behavioral scientists, culture is the full range of learned human behavior patterns. Culture is "that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, law, morals, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society." Of course, it is not limited to men. Women possess and create it as well.
Culture has many components as also mentioned above which include knowledge, belief, art, law etc. food is also a main component of any culture. Many areas have particular food. As in Pakistan there are many regions I personally know there culture strongly consist the variety of foods which they people consider they part of their culture. For example in northern areas of Pakistan people mostly like heavy food because of cold climate. Local ghee, sanabachi, ghulmadi.mulda, dawdaw and many more are their cultural foods. These all foods are locally prepared this indicate that people of these regions local market based people. While moving towards the south region of Pakistan people prefer light food because in these areas climate is very hot.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About myjourney90


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.