Existing Member?

This Beautiful World

Cambodia opened my heart

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [141] | Scholarship Entry

In a country devastated by such a recent and tragic history of suffering and pain at the hands of their own leader, whilst the rest of the world turned a blind eye, when arriving in Cambodia I expected to be greeted by sorrow and oppression (and understandably so) from countrymen who in the 70's saw a third of their population (over 2 million people) slaughtered by the Khmer Rouge. Instead what Cambodia and its' enchanting locals ended up teaching me was the enriching beauty of forgiveness.

From 1975 to 1979 the Cambodian people existed under a reign of terror at the hands of the brutal and unrepentant Khmer Rouge who ruthlessly murdered millions of civilians in their quest for communism.

When travelling through Cambodia it is so abundantly apparent that this mesmerizing country is committed to poignantly remembering those so unfairly torn from their families, whilst at the same time maintaining a dignified gratitude that they were fortunate in surviving. This transcends out of the Cambodian people, who are always smiling and always eager to help both each other and visitors to the country. I can't help but feel that in a world that has become so exhaustively materialistic, we could all learn so much from these people who are just so appreciative of the fact that they survived, something everyone should have the right to take for granted.

Although rich in natural resources, after years of internal conflict and struggle, Cambodia is one of the poorest, most poverty stricken country's in the world. However, where they may be poor financially, they have the richest strength and beauty of character I have ever seen in a nation. With a strong emphasis on family and community these wise souls with their appreciation for life have so much they could teach to those more economically advanced.

Always greeted by a genuine smile and kindness of words from day one I felt at home in Cambodia. People are interested and want to learn from their visitors, completely unaware of the fact that their visitors can learn so much more from their own purity of spirit than they could ever learn from us.

I will never forget the day I discovered Cambodia, its' prodigious people or all that I took away from its' magical lands. Forever in my heart, reminding me to be the best possible version of myself, care for others and appreciate what I am so fortunate to have.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About mybeautifulworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.