Existing Member?

Fresco!!

Salute the woman of the black bag.

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [221] | Scholarship Entry

Bogotá, Colombia. More than seven million people. Four thousand three hundred twenty-one per square kilometer. What were the chances of finding the woman with the black bag?
In a city like this, the touristic options are endless: The district of La Candelaria, Plaza Bolivar, the Botanical Garden, the Gold Museum , La Calera, etc, etc. . That’s what I wanted!!! To take a "tinto" in a coffee shop!! Have a breakfast at Paloquemao market. I had discovered the habit of accompanying breakfast with a little glass of “aguardiente Antioqueño”. I felt good with that!!! But I had to know her.
Newcomer to the city, still dizzy from the trip, I decide to wander out. It is first of May and the centre of the city is crowded. I arrived to a circular plaza, Plaza de los Periodistas. From somewhere, I hear live music. I decided to search for it. I get to a huge amphitheater. A punk and vallenato concert is being performed to celebrate the workers day. She was sitting a few feet from me. Around fifty, gray-haired, quiet smile, black bag. I would never have approached her, but I read her bag. Says “Bogotá bycicle film festival”. That strikes me and I asked her if she has participated in the festival. I participated in the race, she says. I am a biker. Do you like riding a bike? And she hit straight to my Achilles heel.
I only had four days in Bogota. My original plan was to know the normal places: The district of La Candelaria, Plaza Bolivar, the Botanical Garden... blah blah blah... After meeting her and her family, I’ve met the world of street betting with bunnies, the suicidal juggler of the five machetes, the other suicide juggler of the tightrope at the lights, the oldladies from the “biciescuela” (bikeschool), the squat with the pedal soundsystem to pedal, the cocoa business, and Jorge, the street historian.
There were four days that seemed years. By the fourth day , I tell my fairy godmother : I never knew the Botanical Garden and the Museum of Gold ! Calla “marica”, she said, you’ve met Bogotá.
She took the car and escorted me to the airport.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About mxerquet


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.