Existing Member?

On Wheels

The Heat is On!

PAKISTAN | Saturday, 12 May 2007 | Views [1302] | Comments [6]

60km from the Afgahn border, at Peswar city. Historical city, Peswar was ground for some famous explorers, conquerors, and tyrans - Alexander the Great, Marco Polo, Genghis Khan, Timur, Bakur, and ME, Rodrigo The Stubborn. Peswar is famous for being the main trading centers on the ancient Silk Road and was a major crossroads for various cultures between the Indian Subcontinent and Central Asia connecting through the not less famous - Kyber Pass.

Peswar is also know from being a grounf to spies and wanna be spies, drug lords and wanna be drug lord, assasins and ...you know. The city and Kyber Pass have been mentioned in many movies and songs - Up the Kyber,Pink Floyd.

I'll be in Peswar for 2-3 days getting things ready to cross. Through contacts from the Brazilian Embassy, vice-consul Carlos Eduardo de C. Armando (Kdu), I'm being assisted by the Brazilian Consulate in Peswar,  Nadeem-ud-Din and Tufail Kha Hak. For now, I'm waiting a permission required by FATA (FederaL Administered Tribal Area) and on wait for Daily The News, international Afghan newspaper, for an interview. Daily's reporter plan to contact ppl in Afghan to meet me, helping me on a safer pass throu Afghan.

Concern is the general feeling by those helping me. The current situation on the area is critic. Hopes are that after a pass Kabul, things will get safer, not completly, but much better...then, the main concern should be the land-mines left by the Afghan-Soviet war and the not so long ago, and still under, US-Afghan war. Another interesting fact is; instead of kids carrying slingshots, I might encounter lots of ppl carrying Kalishnikov (AK-47); also, a souvenir left from Afghan-Soviet war.

For those who haven't passed out over such cheerful info about my route, here goes:

I'm aware of the dangerous, and I do know that this is not the brightest idea I've ever had. However, I've decided to do it, believing that I can make it to the other side in one piece. If anytihng bad happens, I blame nobody, but mylsef. I know that there are good and terrible ppl on my way, and lots of ignorantr ppl who are quite angry at the moment...some for their entire life, so...I chose to go, I assume the outcome of it. Like my friend Kdu says:

" You can't blame a dog for being a dog!"

I'm aware of mean dogs within the fence, I decided to jump in! If bitten, well deserved - I knew the nature of the beast.

Wish me luck

Rodrigo

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

be SAFE.
be careful.
even though i believe u have no problem disguising urself after seeing ur latest photo....
yes, Rodrigo The Stubborn, you will make it!
jo

  jo May 12, 2007 10:24 PM

2

Hi my hero
nothing can beating you
I do trust you are the person who is very brave and have a lot of backbone

yes Rodrigo The man of iron
give me your news anytime

Rebecca

  Rebecca May 13, 2007 2:47 AM

3

Hi Rodrigo,

Hope you will enjoyed on the way to Kabul and I wish you have a safe journey throughout the Afghanistan our best wishes will always be with you. I am sorry for the botheration you faced during the departure from Peshawar but this is part of your tour.

Regrards,

Nadeem-ud-Din
Peshawar

  Nadeem-ud-Din May 15, 2007 12:17 AM

4

Go! Go! Rodrigo!
i finally finished all ur photos and diaries, it's quite amazing!
thanx for show me how big the world is.
keep riding and i'll following ur trip to see the world.
take care!
expecting more stories and beautiful views!

p.s and i know U'LL BE FINE no matter where u go

  Grace May 16, 2007 11:18 PM

5

I believe in you. survivor. nc

  nc May 18, 2007 1:28 AM

6

It's my pleasure to know your adventure.

Maybe,
Marco polo wouldn't know the influence he made. He just did the worthy thing he thought.

You're making the way that you think you should do.
However,
All of us can't image the huge influence will be made by what you're doing.

JiaYou!!~~(Mandarin)

  Joyce May 21, 2007 12:12 PM

About mutt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.