Existing Member?

Murray & Rhonda on the road An occasional record of our travels in Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana and South Africa.

Moremi Madness

BOTSWANA | Monday, 20 October 2008 | Views [956] | Comments [1]

Barry the beast vehicle - Moremi

Barry the beast vehicle - Moremi

After our time in a Mokoro in the Okavango Delta we had 1 day off before heading there again, this time on a vehicle based 2 day, 1 night trip.

We were in a party of 7, good to chat with people as well as our guide Baker and Kasanga the cook (who ensured we were anything but hungry).  It was really hot, we were drinking 3 litres of water a day plus tea and coffee.  We camped at a really nice spot, overlooking a narrow stretch of water.  In teh afternoon whilst we waited for it to cool down and go on our evening game drive we just watched the local stretch of water and it was amazing what we saw over that 3 hour stretch:  baboons, mongooses, zebra, giraffe, waterbuck, african darter, hippos, storks, ibis ....  The okavango is so full of life, it was amazing.

Camping under the stars was great - although the mun was so full that only the brightest stars were visable.  The night was filled with the sounds of hippos, frogs and owls.  We also heard hyena. 

Our morning game drive on day 2 yielded lots more great birds and animals including 3 sets of lions - 10 in all (see Okavango picture set).  Our drive home included a good portion of game drive and we were lucky enough to see another prode of lions with 3 females and 3 clubs and then to top it off a cheetah and cub - brilliant!  Our vehicle, "Barry" was not so reliable - a flat battery meant that we had to push start it or keep the enging running - just as we left teh dusty dirt roads and hit tarmac it started misfiring - probably a blocked air filter, but no one could find how to access teh thing to clean it!  We were caked in dust - so a shower and beer at teh campsite in Maun was very welcome.  Next stop - Chobe national park and teh town of Kasane - more soon!

Comments

1

Dr. Wilson I presume!

You are building some super memories. I feel like I'm reading the travel account of a famous african adventurer! Sounds like the trip is exceeding expectations, but please do try to stay alive !

Peter

  Peter Blampied Oct 21, 2008 12:06 AM

About murray_wilson

Murray & Rhonda

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.