Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

To go to Egypt or not go to Egypt?

CHINA | Friday, 24 July 2009 | Views [574] | Comments [2]

Yesterday was such an exciting day!!!  I booked my ticket to Shenzhen/Hong Kong to depart next Tuesday with plans to meet up with Wendy when I got there.  Those plans have completely changed now and I might end up going to Egypt for part of my trip.  I know, I know....I am all over the place...but when an opportunity like this comes up, how can I refuse?!?!

Mimi and her mom (family friends) picked me up at the volunteer house yesterday and they were taking me around Xi'an this weekend.  I originally thought they were picking and dropping me back off at the house each, but when Mimi got there, she asked about my suitcase.  I didn't realize I would be spending the weekend with them, so I had to rush to pack a bag.  During lunch, I found out they were returning to Shenzhen on a flight 30 minutes after mine...so we decided to just have me stay with them the whole time in Xi'an and we would go to the airport together on Tuesday.  I would also stay with them when I get to Shenzhen until July 30...the day they are heading to Egypt.  Mimi's mom asked if I wanted to go too and said she would pay for the trip (even though I kept insisting I could pay it myself).  They are taking a tour around Egypt for a week and they wanted me to come along.  I said I would think about it and they started making calls to get me on this tour.  I'm torn about whether I should go or not.  If I go, I'll miss out on Shanghai (but I'll be back in time for Beijing).  This Egypt trip sounds so good but I am concerned about how dirty Egypt is and whether they have western toilets (yes, I have this obession with western toilets now after being in Asia for 3 weeks!!! :) ).  I can't decide!!!!

This is a short blog...but I wanted to share Egypt.  I'll write more when I have more time since I have to tell you about all the delicious food I ate yesterday.  If I keep eating like this, I'll definitely come back to the states 15 lbs heavier.  I'm going to climb a mountain today..I had to wake up at 4:30am...wish me luck!!!  I hope I don't fall asleep going up there!

Comments

1

Hey Girl,

I just sat here and read the entire thing since the last time I checked in! It is wonderful that you can share your experiences without even coming home yet! I got my postcard! It was a surprise! I'm glad you're having so much fun! Egypt is a once in a lifetime trip, so do it! Just experience life and have fun!

  Jennifer Jul 25, 2009 9:54 AM

2

Hi Jennifer!! I decided to keep Egypt for another time. I googled Egypt just to see how hot and dirty it is and I just don't think I'm ready to handle any more dirtyness (is that a word?) right now. I think if I hadn't experience so much already, I could do it for the one week...but man, I REALLY appreciate how nice and clean we have it in the US!!!! :)

  muoy Jul 25, 2009 11:53 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.