Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

Shopping in Phnom Penh...

CAMBODIA | Monday, 13 July 2009 | Views [721] | Comments [8]

What a nice and relaxing day!!!  Shopping, massage, working out, and lots of eating (had two fresh coconuts - it's great chilled!).

I went shopping in Phnom Penh today.  I've heard everything is so cheap here, especially the clothes.  I don't know where this rumor came from, but the shopping mall I went to had some pretty expensive stuff.  I can get better deals shopping at Macys when they have their sales!!!  They also had all the fake brand name purses and those weren't any cheaper.  There was a fake Versace handbag that I liked and it was $110!!!  The lowest I could bargain it down to was about $80 and even then, that was too much money for a fake!  I'll wait till I get to Hong Kong since I hear they are all about the fake purses. 

With everything being so expensive, we left and went to a flea market type place.  Prices were much better here, but they just love ripping off the foreigners.  You can go to one place and they will charge $12.  Walk a few shops down, the same thing will be $7.  Crazy stuff...I didn't buy too much since I still need to lug my suitcases around  to a few more cities.

The great thing about being in Cambodia is that they accept US dollar. I don't have to exchange for any Cambodian money and don't have to worry about doing conversions in my head when trying to buy things.  I think Americans are very fortunate...almost everywhere I've been to (in Europe and Asia), English is the language that most people will speak as a second language.  It's funny how in America, you'll see signs in English and Spanish.  In Asia, you'll see it in whatever the Asian language is and English.  Why is it that most Americans don't speak a second language?  Are Americans that self-centered that we expect everyone to know English?!!?

We are heading to Kratie tomorrow at 6:30am.  These early mornings are killing me...but we want to be able to get there early enough to go sight-seeing.  I found out I wasn't really born in Kratie when I spoke to my mom this morning. All my life...I thought it was Kratie since that is on all my official documents!!! There's another city close by Kratie (I don't know the English name...it's pronounce "seem-mock" in Chinese) and that's where I was born.  I think it might still be in Kratie (where Kratie is the province and "seem-mock" is the city?!?!).  I'm hearing different things...so we'll see if I can figure all this out tomorrow.  It would be nice to know exactly where I was born.  The house I was born in has been torn down, but my mom thinks the mid-wife that delivered me is still around. 

Well, I'm off to bed to rest up for the long day tomorrow!!!

Comments

1

I'll share my ultimate haggling skill with ya. If you know how much you want to pay, just have that amount in your wallet and show them that's the only cash you have. Another thing you can try is if they refuse, just shove the money in their hand, smile, say something like "aw, it's ok, it's okay..." and walk off with the item. Works most times :)

One thing I learned while shopping at flea market type places in Beijing is just like you said, you can go to one stall and pay $10 and then go to the next and see the item for $5. So it's best to try multiple shops first to get a feel of what the prices are like. There's always the foreigner vs local pricing... if they're quoting 30USD for a shirt, something's not right.

  KSPimp Jul 14, 2009 3:13 AM

2

Hi there,
so glad to hear about your travels and glad you got there safe. Use those negotiating skills to your advantage girl!
Same old stuff here - we miss you!
Wende

  Wende Lynn Jul 14, 2009 5:02 AM

3

Thanks for sharing your travels, I am enjoying keeping up. Nobody has taken your cube, yet!

  Robert Jul 14, 2009 5:42 AM

4

Hi guys! Thanks so much for reading and keeping up with my blog! :)

Ki/Wende - I think I got ripped off yesterday when I bought a couple of things...but that's ok. I'll learn for next time. My brother-in-law says whatever price they give me, bump it down by 70% and start from there. :)

Wende - It feels like I've been gone a month from MST..but it's only been a week!! You guys still on target for July 24th?

Robert - Whoever ends up with my cube, make sure you harass them!!! That was a great cube and I hated to leave it behind...hahaha...

  muoy Jul 14, 2009 8:30 AM

5

No MST talk allowed in this blog :@

Muoy, I am shocked that you suck so bad at bargaining. I thought you were my deal finder extraordinaire :(

  Hubby Jul 14, 2009 10:06 PM

6

I am shocked too that you got ripped off. What happened to the muoy I know in France? Bargaining in French--now that's something!

I hope you have fun until the next time I can log on. We're off to Denmark tomorrow to visit my parents and knowing my parents, I know we'll have a full schedule waiting for us.

Love ya!

  Yuping Jul 15, 2009 7:59 AM

7

It's great reading of your adventures - its good to know you are safe and having a blast. Friday is my last day at MST - I got a new job with Deloitte. You have my contact info - drop me an email if the Panda's let you go!

David

  David Meltzer Jul 15, 2009 10:36 AM

8

Yuping/Hubby: I know, I know. I can't believe I've lost my bargaining edge. I'll blame it on the lack of sleep and it won't happen again! :)

Yuping: Have fun in Denmark and tell your parents I said "Hi"

David: Congrats on the new job!! We'll definitely keep in touch and check back for the panda updates! Are you taking the panda pic I gave you on my last day? You better take it everywhere you go!!! :)

  muoy Jul 15, 2009 8:05 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.