Existing Member?

Spiritus Gitana

Spiritus Gitana

USA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [84] | Scholarship Entry

The bus stopped,from my window appeared a beautifully built building.Thick walls of medium height,the spot was surrounded with lots of gardens that made the place look heavenly charming.As I breath in the bracing air of Seattle my eyes dropped on a large wooden notice on which was written in bold letters: Welcome to the Archdiocese of Seattle.
“Archdiocese”? A scent of spirituality invaded me and sent a chill down my spine.Never ever have I stayed in a similar place.
I walked in, in front of me, a statute of Jesus Christ,high and mighty and with arms wide open as he is welcoming the visitors.
At the lobby,numerous men portraits decorating the walls.Their religious outfits and trustful faces let me guess that they were church people.The receptionist,a welcoming lady,gave me directions to my room but no keys,she said in a reassuring voice that no keys were needed we were in the hands of the Lord.
My mouth dropped open as I take the elevator.
Along the corridor leading to my room more portraits of unrecognizable faces were filling the walls and low lights. A scary atmosphere.
I opened the wooden door that had no lock.At the entrance‘s wall a little notice where was written:” when you began your petition an answer was given, which I came to announce, because you are beloved.”Words that had never left my mind.The only furniture the room had was a bed, a bedside table, and desk.The window had a panoramic view on the forest.
After lunch,I had gone on a hike through the forest until I've reached Lake Stevens. Feeling like a warrior who has just accomplished her duty, I lay down enjoying the view.I was in one of those moments when I am reminded of my smallness in this world of ours.Emotions I only experience with Mother Nature.
After an afternoon of “ahhs”I got back to my-in-the-hands-of-the-Lord room. The sun had gone down and the forest from my window took a different allure.I swallowed my fear to not let my wide imagination and the thought of sleeping in a room with no lock freak me out.
The hike-smelly feet took me out of my fantasy to the shower.Suddenly,I heard a terrifying sound,I jumped out,rolled the first towel around me and left. Running barefoot in the corridor,I heard the sound again: IT’S THE ELEVATOR. I laughed like crazy at myself and got back to my room.
My stay at the Palisades Retreat Center was the first time I connected this much with my spirituality. There is way more to feel in the world than a limited mind could ever imagine.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About multuminparvo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.