Existing Member?

Ecua-Fabulous

La Madrina

ECUADOR | Saturday, 16 August 2008 | Views [4255] | Comments [1]

La Madrina de SECAP, 2008!  Woot Woot!

La Madrina de SECAP, 2008! Woot Woot!

If I have one strategy about living in Ecuador, it is to accept all invitations I receive (that is, with the exception of the invitations offered to me from men on the street between their wet smootching noises and hisses). But in terms of my host family, students and co-workers, I am convinced that whatever they want me to do with them and their families is worth doing.

Had Jorge known this strategy of mine he would not have needed to be so polite when he asked me to do what he called a favor. He and I share an office space at my school, and one morning after his computer class, he asked me if I would be willing to be the madrina of the sports teams for our school. Had his explanation been in English, it still would not have given me a good idea of what in the world that entailed. Having gotten used to the lack of details in the explanation of plans in Ecuador, I was ready to accept the invitation despite my lack of comprehension. So when he mentioned that I got to wear a banner (a la beauty queens), there was not even a hint of a doubt in my mind that the following Friday I was definitely going to be the madrina.

Through conversations with other coworkers I was able to gather that there is a yearly sports competition between various government institutions. SECAP, funded by the government as it is, participates in this competition every year, and our men – like the other teams – always arrive in matching full body track suits, ready to compete. The teams also arrive with one woman, dressed to the nines, who does the honor of leading the team in the opening ceremony.

I, like you may be, was imagining something grand, a legit ceremony followed by a full day of soccer, basketball, Ecua-volley, and maybe even some track and field. The number of times I was approached and re-approached by coworkers about the color of my dress (in order to best match the lettering of the banner) further strengthened this notion of mine. So I got a manicure, bought new stockings and new shoes, shaved my legs, and wore the most expensive dress I have ever bought (which thankfully now had a reason for having been brought to Ecuador).

The day of the competition I was severely overdressed for my morning class, but confident that I would make an appropriate madrina for the rest of the day. When I saw the team, a hodgepodge of men but all wearing remarkably suave navy and orange track suits, complete with the SECAP logo, I was ready to represent, albeit a bit nervous about my responsibilities. Through my broken Spanish conversations I had heard mention of a separate ceremony for just the madrinas (where purportedly one “wins” – based on what I had no idea), and for some reason I was convinced I was going to have to sing the Ecuadorian national anthem – something I was utterly incapable of doing.

Perhaps luckily, but somewhat sadly, I never got to find out if I could have won, or could have faked my way through the anthem, for in typical Ecua fashion, we SECAPers arrived at the competition an hour late. The other teams were already lined up in the gymnasium – madrinas in front, gracefully holding their bouquets – when we arrived. So we walked in late (me without flowers and with only half our team in tow) – in time to hear the closing remarks. In the small and unimpressive gym, the few people who were there to watch were busier talking on their cell phones or chatting among themselves than listening to anything that was said. Hardly a grand ceremony.

It was not long before the competitions started. They began with a run, in which two of our about 20 person team participated. Standing in the street to cheer, it soon became clear that the big race required the runners to go around the block, in my estimate, about four times. SECAP did not win. We ventured back onto the grounds of the school in which the competition was being held and chatted for a while. My assumption that we were waiting while a series of soccer or basketball games were set up was proven wrong when the game of cuarenata was announced as the next event. Far from anything athletic, cuarenta is actually the national card game. Again, two of our 20 person team participated.

After more than enough time watching men play a card game I do not understand, I was ready for some real sports. But, perhaps more to my liking in reality, we exited the small classroom where the cards we being played and were immediately lined up to receive our huge lunch of hornado – a delicious dish of juicy pork, mote (a type of corn), llapingachos (potato pancakes with cheese), rice and potatoes. Still in my fancy dress and new heels, we sat in the stands of the gym and I gorged on my favorite Ecua dish. And then, the day was over.

I do not know why the track suits were necessary – I generally do not think of playing cards as an activity that requires attire suitable for sweating. I don’t know why the day was hyped as a day of sports competition. I do not know why we had such a large team and so little participation. And I don’t really know why my presence was needed. But I know that the turning of events – the lack of congruency between my idea of what the day would be and what it was – was one of the most entertaining things I have experienced thus far. And I know that I felt honored to be asked to be the madrina, that I enjoyed spending the day with my coworkers. And I know I still have a very glittery banner to prove that I was in fact Señorita Deportes SECAP 2008.

Comments

1

Claire, I was tickled to read your story and look forward to hearing about your time with family over the holidays. Love the dress! Maggie

  Tia Magdalen Vargas Dec 20, 2008 2:27 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.