Existing Member?

mudskippers adventures Apollo Motorhome road trip in NZ North Island. I designed this road trip specific to my 15 y.o son and 46 y.o husband which involved a lot of motorsport fun and a taste of New Zealand culture, history and landscapes.

Day 1 - Otorohanga Kiwi House Private Evening Tour

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 9 April 2012 | Views [415]

9 hours into landing onto NZ soil, 2.5 hours after our hot-seat rally car ride ride with Mark Tapper, and almost 300kms travelled in our first day, we stop off to our first night's rest at Otorohanga Camp Kiwi.  Camp Kiwi which is a small open plan park which presents a dozen odd powered sites for campers. It has a small toilet and shower block and laundry. Although dated, the facilities are very tidy and with plenty of hot water. Camp Kiwi is managed by the Kiwi House, so payments are made at the Kiwi house reception. I would strongly advise that you call the Kiwi house and book your campsite in advance with some indication of when you will be arriving.

Camp Kiwi is located right next to the Otorohanga Kiwi House & Native Bird Park which is owned and operated by the Otorohanga Zoological Society Inc. – a non-profit organisation dedicated to the conservation of New Zealand's native wildlife through education, display and breeding programs.

Listening to the sounds of the birdlife right at our camp was wonderful.

At 6pm, we then had a private "Inside Story" evening tour with the Manager Paul. Paul introduced us to plenty of native reptiles and birds. The tour was really informative. Some of the highlights included witnessing a courtship dance by a couple of Kea birds,seeing the Kaka's and watching the funny Weka's running aroudn the park. We also loved the closeup encounter with the Tuatara reptiles and also meeting 'Tasman' the great spotted kiwi. This was such a lovely kickoff introduction to New Zealand!

If you want to learn more about Otorohanga Kiwi House or about Camp Kiwi - then go to this link-http://www.kiwihouse.org.nz/

The Kiwi House is only 15 minutes away from Waitomo Glow worm cave, which was our next port of call (Day 2)

Tags: camp kiwi, kea, kiwi house, otorohanga, weka

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.