Existing Member?

The Journey is the Destination

First Day

TANZANIA | Monday, 22 January 2007 | Views [617] | Comments [4]

I am in Africa.

After traveling for two days my brother and I finally arrived at the Kilimanjaro airport in Tanzania. We walked down the steps of the little plane onto the tarmac and took our first breaths of East African air - smelling warm and green.

My cousin Greg's friend Abraham the taxi driver was waiting for us after we picked up our bags, which had miraculously all arrived. He drove us the hour to my cousin's house in Arusha, where he and his new wife Anna were waiting for us.

This morning we slept until noon. Greg and Anna took us to a coffee plantation just out of town where we took a walk through the coffee. North of the city we could see Mt. Meru, nearly 16,000ft just peeking out of the clouds.

The only thing I can really say about Tanzania so far is that it really is different than any place I have traveled so far. It smells different, the air feels different, everything is new and amazing.

Driving through town people were walking and riding bicycles and hanging off the sides of the buses, wearing western clothes and wild african prints.

On Tuesday we begin our Trek up Kilimanjaro.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

You Are Amazing!

  Erin Murray Jan 22, 2007 5:27 PM

2

Welcome to Africa!! Arriving in my mail today was a big, white envelope from CA. I just dove right in. I hope that the green perfume invades your pores...I'll be reading. Love and such...Caralea

  Caralea Jan 24, 2007 4:31 AM

3

Sounds amazing! Look forward to the next post, my dear.

I love you!

  Nat Jan 26, 2007 5:24 AM

4

Dear Marilyn, you adventurous creature of divine origins,
I first read this post at the helm of Mountain Harvest Market on Friday Market Day, where I attempt to fill your lovely shoes, batting my eyes and swooning and being ever so cordial and efficient and cute.
Oh, and by the way, did I tell you I had my hair cut short and dyed platinum, and I have lost a 100 pounds.
Missing you.
Love,
Marilyn

  Ellie May Tumbleweed Jan 30, 2007 2:42 AM

About mtownsend


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.