Existing Member?

The Motivating Miracle

Understanding a Culture through Food - Live Life To The Fullest

SINGAPORE | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [191] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

Suddenly a voice broke my daydream, “Hello, can I sit in here?”
“ Yes, please.” I answered.
“Stir it together!” she told me while showing how to eat my pepper rice. That Singaporean woman was as thin as me, but older. She munched with spirit and occasionally smiled to me. The way she ate her lunch showed that it’s the most delicious meal left for that day and she felt thankful for it.
She asked me about Indonesia and told me how she loved it for its beauty. She closed her eyes then smiley told me how beautiful the mountain, the lake, and the sea is. The cute crinkles as she smiled describing her happiness at best.
We laughed and shared stories about our country. Her warm eyes and friendly smile kept our short conversation interesting. We talked just like we're an old friend.
“Do you work?”
“I’m a student.”
“What kind of thing you want to do in life?”
I shaked my head off briefly. I had a lot on my mind but I tended to be a fearful and doubtful person all this time.
“Don’t worry, you’ll find what you want to do in life,” she smiled, “I was diagnosed cancer quite a long time ago, ovarian cancer. The doctor told me that I wouldn’t pass 1 year. He thought to stop all the medicines. He wanted me to enjoy life and do all that I want to do. I almost gave up my life. Then suddenly I thought maybe he was right. I should keep moving and be brave for whatever which might happen. I should live my life as it will never end. Then I keep doing my daily routine as everything’s alright. I pray and thank God for every moment I had. God is good. A year after the doctor said that my cancer was all gone. He’s really surprised. That was a miracle. I recovered and could work again. Now I’m sitting here and eating lunch with you.” she smiled again. “No matter what you want to do, be brave. Never give up on everything. You’ll never know what might happen to you in the future, but what you want to do now. Just do it. Always challenge yourself and live life to the fullest.” she said while she’s eating quickly. She quickly packed her things up and was ready to move. Before she moved, she said again, “Time is up. I should go back to work. Don’t forget to pray. God is really good. Have a nice day!” Then she touched my shoulder and went away.
I closed my eyes then started to write this story. One year passed, I always remember our meeting and every word that she said. Life is only once. Everytime I feel afraid or doubtful, I remind myself to live life to the fullest.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

Comments

1

OMG! I chose wrong title.. It's supposed to be 'a local encounter that changed my perspective' :(

  mssu Apr 19, 2013 1:42 PM

About mssu


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.