Existing Member?

Runnin on Rice November, 2 2009 - February, 1 2009 Michal and Sara travel through South West China and South East Asia.

Hoi An, Vietnam

VIETNAM | Friday, 22 January 2010 | Views [403]

We are now in Hoi An, Vietnam!

This town is on the coast of central Vietnam. It is a town that the  French built as an administration center during the time Vietnam was their colony. It is a very beautiful town with... you guessed it... French architecture.  I find it funny that tourists tend to flock to these former French towns in SE Asia as if the real France didn't exist anymore or something! This is the real irony of Tourism: People leave their familiar and boring lifestyles to go to exotic and interesting destinations, but when they get their, spend alot of their time searching for the comforts of home. Its really funny, but everyone does it to some extent. You try eating chicken noodle soup for breakfast for three months strait!!

Anyways, this town really is worth sharing with many other tourists. The architecture is beautiful as it blends in with the tropical surroundings, the local cuisine is probably my favorite so far, and their are many small museums and cultural sights to visit. We spent the first day here just walking around the town and visiting some local sights where we got to watch a traditional local music, dance, and theatrical performance.

That evening, we ran into a couple that we had met all the way back in Laos in the beginning of December (Small world). We met them the next morning and biked to the local becah through some nice countryside. This beach was very big and there was almost no people there! In the evening, we met our friends again and had dinner at place that allowed us to go back to their little kitchen to see how these local cuisines are prepared. This restaurant kitchen was about the size of an average sized kitchen back home. Their was five Vietnamese women back their already so it got tight when four westerners squeezed their way in.  Bus is here, gotta go!!! will write later. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.