Existing Member?

Runnin on Rice November, 2 2009 - February, 1 2009 Michal and Sara travel through South West China and South East Asia.

Kuala Lampur, Malaysia

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 10 January 2010 | Views [516]

We are now on our last day in Kuala Lampur. This is the city that houses the Petronas Towers. Those towers that beat out Chicago's Sears tower as tallest in the world. Not the case anymore, but still very cool to see. Honestly, they don't look taller!! I call shananigans!

Anyways, a bit About Malaysia: This is a Muslim country with a Muslim Government, which means expensive beer and no halter tops. Everything else is pretty similar to your run-of-the-mill non-muslim country.
People are very nice here and it seems like the wealthiest place we've been to since Hong Kong. Its very easy to get around because their roads are quality and have many mass transit options in the city.

Kuala Lampur is a city which is very diverse. There are many Malay people, but Chinese and Indian people make up about 35% of the population. The food is awesome. Take the traditional foods of all the ethnicities I just mentioned and fuse them into pure mouth watering goodness and you'll get Malaysian food! The city isn't a site seeing extravaganza, but just immersing yourself in the multitude of cultures and eating food is very cool. We visited the Petronas Towers and checked out some cool markets in China Town and Little India on our first day. Yesterday, we took a bus to the outskirts of town, where we went to the Hindu shrine that is within some huge caves. In about three weeks, a festival occurs there. Hindu devotees drag wagons of offerings up about 200 steps towing them with ropes attached to their backs by skin pierced hooks. To bad we won't be here! The cave was impressive enough and there is a massive statue of a Hindu god in front of it. Today we checked out the National Monument in the city park where bus loads of Chinese tourists proceeded to take photos of us. (We're very use to it at this point). Now we are killing time and researching places in Vietnam on-line. (We originally thought our flight left today and not tomorrow..Shhh) Anyways, thats about it from Kuala Lampur. Its been pretty easy living here, but we are now ready to experience the craziness that is Ho Chi Minh City!!

Untill next time...

Oh yeah! So last time I mentioned sleeping in this "Hide" in the Jungle... We were there alone and it was creepy, but awesome. The sounds those jungle critters make are a beautiful orchestra that can put you to sleep, but when you hear something suddenly screaming on the roof of your "hide" .....  Holy Shit!!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.