Existing Member?

Runnin on Rice November, 2 2009 - February, 1 2009 Michal and Sara travel through South West China and South East Asia.

2010 in Ko Lanta, Thailand

THAILAND | Friday, 1 January 2010 | Views [591] | Comments [2]

Happy New Year!!

We are now on the island of Ko Lanta in Thailand.  We have spent the last three days here and its been great. The island has a very long beach that pretty much runs along its entire western shoreline. This beach is loaded with restaurants and bars so it was perfect for the New Year celebration. Two days ago we went on an organized trip where we spent the day snorkeling and hanging out on other uninhabited islands. We really have taken to snorkeling. Its amazing what goes on down there! We also went to this island and swam through a dark cave that opened up into a huge "crater like" oasis in the middle of the island. This was really cool, but unfortunatly we were not the only group there. The only thing that sucked is that we got stung by a bunch of little jelly fish. Now we've got itchy little marks on us for a few days.

Last night we drank cocktails for the sunset and ate some delicious Thai barbequed squid. The celebration here was better than we expected. They shot off fire works and people were releasing hundreds of glowing lanterns into the air. The lanterns sybolize good luck for the coming year, unfortunitly ours plumited into the sea shortly after take off. Lucky for us we aren't as supersticious as Thais. We finished up the night with some serious dancing. Speaking of which, Im still recovering from the night so this one is short. Hope everyone had a great new year!

Tomorrow we leave for Malaysia!

 

Comments

1

Happy New Year!! So fun to read about ringing in the New Year half way around the world. Post more pix if you can. Continue to be safe.

  Angie Messinger Jan 2, 2010 1:56 PM

2

Happy New Year!
Ouch, jelly fish.... Did you think of trying the "Friends" remedy..... Urine (haha)...

Glad to hear you are enjoying Paradise - here we are freezing. Can't wait to hear about everything!

  Jessica Jan 8, 2010 5:52 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.