Existing Member?

Early Morning Fish

Fischmarkt in Hamburg

GERMANY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [136] | Scholarship Entry

7 AM. Sunday.
I’m standing in the cold rain, hunched under a friend’s umbrella, with a fish sandwich in one hand, a beer in the other, and a smile on my face.

On a normal day I’d still be in bed sleeping off the night before, but that isn’t the case today.
It’s the last day of my weekend trip to Hamburg, Germany, and there’re rumors of a Fischmarkt down on the port that can’t be missed, despite the early operating hours.
In the winter the Fischmarkt is open every Sunday from 7–9:30 AM, and from April to October this is extended to open at 5:30 AM. – Madness.

Sunday morning comes quickly, and I wake-up wanting nothing more than to ignore reality and go straight back to bed.
Fortunately, I have a regular Jamie Lee with me this morning, and my friend forces me out of bed "Freaky Friday" style.
I’m a total Lindsay.

During our walk to the port I can't help but wonder if the dreary weather will put a damper on the Fischmarkt this morning.
Answer. It will not.
The port is alive. One man is shouting orders for flowers from the back of a truck, another is “making it rain” candy on a small child, and scattered throughout the madness are booths selling fresh fish sandwiches.
My groggy demeanor is quickly replaced with one of pure joy, and I want to start running around like Buddy the Elf screaming “I’m in love and I don’t care who knows it”.

Within seconds I have a drink in my hand, and I’ve already eaten my first fish sandwich of the day. This one sandwich quickly becomes two, which is soon followed by a third and a feeling of true love.
On a scale of 1-10 these sandwiches are well above the 10 spot I previously held reserved for my beloved Filet of Fish, and I can’t believe I almost slept through this entire thing.

9:30 comes too soon, and like a small child I begin to pout because I want to stay, and like a bad parent the Fischmarkt gives me what I want.
Right next to the market is a giant warehouse that has “after hours”.
The inside is filled with more food and drinking booths, long rows of tables for sitting, and an area up front with live music and dancing.

We all party as friends into the early afternoon, and I even have the privilege to dance with a grandmother to a good swingin’ tune.

Take it from the hung-over man that dislikes early mornings and cold weather more than Plankton hates the Krusty Krab – if you’re in Hamburg on a Sunday, you have to make it down to the Fishmarkt.
Eat a sandwich, have a beer, and tell Grandma I said hello.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mrbubuja


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.