Existing Member?

Wondering and Wandering I graduated. Now what? Do I live the life I never wanted to live? The one where I move to the city, get a job in a corporate cubicle, and slave away 60 hours a week for $40,000 a year? No thanks. How about 5 years down the road when I settle on a girl I don't truly love, buy the car I don't need, have the marriage that won't last, buy the home I can't afford? No thanks. I want to see things, I want to experience life in every way. This is the only life I've got, I might as well make the most of it and do something I won't foget. So here I am, travelling the world one step at a time. Where I'm going is yet to be decided, how long I'm there is up in the air, but one thing's for sure. Whatever I do, where ever I go, I'm going to be living. You can count on that.

The Himalays and White Water Rafting

NEPAL | Saturday, 27 October 2007 | Views [927] | Comments [4]

Sorry its been so long, I've been a little busy. Colby and I took off on a 18 day trek through the mountains of Nepal. What an experience. We thought we could last carrying our own bags...nope. We had to get porters like everyone else who was doing the trek. It wasn't too expensive and we were able to help a couple of guys out and make more money than they would have normally. Colby lasted to the second day when we met up with this British couple (Gavin and Gail) and their friend (Emma). Colby got his porter through their guide and the next day I used him as well and got a porter for myself. It just wasn't any fun carrying these big bags up 800 meters of steps. We ended up doing the trek and the rafting with the brits who turned out to be awesome people and some quality friends...plus, I have another 2 places to stay in the UK! 


The trek was hard, it strained my body and my mind. It was absolutely beautiful at the same time. Elevation is a killer, 5416 meters, thats higher than any mountain in the US with exception of Denali in Alaska. We were way up there, with the clouds. The landscape was so incredibly diverse too. It went from Jungle to barren mountain, to snow covered peaks, to desert, to plains, to river valleys, and back to jungle. Not only was the landscape diverse but so were the flora and fauna. It was an amazing experience and I highly reccommend it to those who are interested.


The 3 day rafting trip was an experience of its own. It was us, the brits, a dutch couple, and 18 isrealis. Now Isreal isn't known for having the best travellers but these guys weren't half bad. There were a few lazy ones but thats to be expected in a group. The company, Swissa, was awesome. Well organized, great guides, fantastic food, and very safe. Plus we got 10 hours of good rafting total, a DVD of us on the river, and a free t shirt. You know how I feel about free t shirts...love em. I only fell out 3 times but at least it was on decent rapids. Class 3,4, and a 5 (didnt fall out on that one). I'm having a hell of a time here in Nepal and truly love every second of it (with the exception of getting my passport, drivers liscense, and credit cards stolen), no worries about that last bit though, all is taken care of. Hope all is well and I look forward to seeing you all soon. Take care,

Alex

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Alex, whew.... what a relief to see this post. Yes I knew you were ok, your Mom keeps me informed daily, however actually reading your words makes it much more real.
The picture of you and Colby shirtless on that mountain!!! Priceless.
I cannot wait to hear firsthand about this wonderful adventure.
Love and prayers always, GM

  Grandmother Oct 27, 2007 11:14 PM

2

Dearest Alex,
Only fell out 3 times?!?!?! Excellent! Straining your mind is tough but necessary and I can think of nowhere better to do so. I cannot wait to hear the stories in first person.
Love you,
Mom

  Diana Oct 28, 2007 6:03 AM

3

I have this sneaking suspicion that we're going to need to charge for the Alex Garland Story Hour(s). It is indeed a great relief to hear that you are ok first-hand-ish. It's so easy to let the mind get carried away with heart-thumpingly dangerous adventure visions when one has never visited a certain place and know of it personally (Something I hope to rectify in my life). It's great to come home with scars, as long as they heal eventually. Sending all my positive thoughts and wishes.

  Jessica Oct 29, 2007 9:19 AM

4

Glad all is well. You had your mom worried no hearing from you for that long - Thanks - Oh hey, I talked with Grandmother and she said you could stay with her when you return. Isn't that great. Love ya

Doug

  Doug Nov 2, 2007 6:10 AM

About mradventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.