Existing Member?

Mongolian Barbecue

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 April 2012 | Views [307] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

Fortunately, when it came time to eat the sheep’s heart, my stomach was roiling with drunken hunger. My guide and I had driven all day across an ocean of green hills, stopping only at the occasional ger to ask directions and once in a one-store town to buy enormous bottles of beer from an eight-year-old girl. When we finally arrived in this faraway Mongolian river-valley, our home for the night, we had sea-legs from being jostled all day in the Land Cruiser. We hadn’t eaten. We’d drunk the skunky beer on the way and, once we arrived, our host welcomed us with shot after shot of grassy, fermented mare’s milk. I was told that, packed as it was with vitamins, the mare’s milk was the closest the nomads here usually got to a vegetable.

Our dinner would be comprised of one ingredient: a sheep. If there was even any salt on it, I couldn’t taste it, though maybe by the time we ate my palate was ruined by booze and smoke from the bonfire. My guide, our host, and the family from the neighboring ger—that is, everyone for miles around—had come over to enjoy the feast with us. The preparation was simple and steeped in centuries of tradition. Get the neighbors; start the fire; slaughter the sheep by slitting its chest, reaching a hand into its warm body, and pulling a particular artery from its beating heart; boil the butchered sheep in huge pots set over the bonfire; while the rest of the meat boils, spear the organs with sharp sticks and sear them marshmallow-style over the fire; eat the offal hot, heart first.

I can hardly say one meal gave me a deep understanding of Mongolian culture. Still, I got to taste a few things at the core of the nomads’ experience: a long journey, a bonfire under the stars, a shepherd’s summer feast, and the hunger for company in a faraway place.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

Comments

1

Really enjoyed reading this! Nice job!

  krystalsutherland Apr 1, 2012 4:33 PM

2

Thanks, kystalsutherland! Glad you enjoyed it.

  mparker Apr 2, 2012 4:11 AM

About mparker


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.