Existing Member?

Letters from Europe

Missing Trains

FRANCE | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [659] | Scholarship Entry

I still can't believe that something like that happened to me AGAIN! Five years ago when I visited France for the first time I had an embarrassing experience with the well-known french subway. It was not that big of an adventure(even though it seemed like a big deal to me), but to sum up this part of the story, all of my friends got on the extremely fast train and I stayed alone on the station, having no idea how to reach our destination, nor which was it. I remember seeing my friends' faces turning pale and a tall African approaching to me and speaking to me very fast, in French (my French was not really good back than). Anyway, I was appalled for only a couple seconds and the guy helped me find my friends that turned out to be more scared than me. Than, I promised myself to never, ever let myself see any train doors close in front of me. But, as it turns out, some promises are quite hard to keep. Two years later, also in France something similar happened to me(I think the next time I visit France I won't be using any of their public transport!). It was the 18 of July 2012. That summer I spent three weeks studying French in Nice with my friends and we had one birthday to celebrate. We decided to visit Monaco, and we had the most amazing day. We visited the oceanographic museum and we saw the changing of the guard in front of the Palace, and even the Prince waved at us from his limo!!! We tried to enter the Casino, but sadly all we could do was wait to turn eighteen. We had an amazing dinner when one of my friends was proposed by a random men we've never seen before and will never see again. So, we lost track of time, which means we didn't have enough time to find the train station and catch the last train to Nice. We ran for fifteen minutes and laughed so hard, not sure why. When we finally got to the station, we bought the tickets and had two minutes to get on the train. BUT, we were on the wrong terminal and got on the wrong train!!! Luckily, we heard the last call to Nice, got of the train and ran to the other terminal. As we started getting on the train, the doors started closing, so the friend who got on first was holding the doors with all his strength and they closed just before the last one of us could enter - which was, of course, me! I saw pale faces in the train, again. One of them, by chance, pressed the right button and the doors opened. The train started moving once I got in, with the doors still open, but at least this time I was on it...

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About mpandeva


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.