Existing Member?

Movement and Repose

The Months that changed Everything.

INDIA | Tuesday, 22 April 2014 | Views [112] | Scholarship Entry

A confident/terrified/excited/weary (let's just say a mix of emotions in the stomach) 22 year old steps off an aeroplane in Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi at 2 in the morning with nothing but a large backpack, a sleeping bag and an adventurous heart.
This would be the best way to describe myself in 2011 on my first experience travelling with no set plan and alone in a (soon to discover) very foreign Country.

upon saving up for 2 years whilst studying and working part-time I decided on India as my first backpacking experience for a multitude of reasons (none of which being what it would actually be like)
After sleeping in the airport for the first night I decided to get out and begin to take on and explore this new majestic land as I had not planned a single day or place to stay before leaving to discover one Philosophical and one Fundamental idea that has stayed with me ever since.

Fundamental: Even free spirited nomadic backpackers should at least plan where they will stay for the first few nights before they arrive somewhere while they figure the rest out.

Philosophical: That with one's first encounter with absolute Freedom comes absolute Fear.

After a long and somewhat miscommunicated taxi drive (and a much too generous tip) later I found a hostel and a very friendly tuk-tuk driver named Kamal who later would have dinner with me as we sit and befriend each other over ideas for my travels for which I am ever grateful we met.
After months I learnt much about India having travelled both far North into Kashmir; spending the dirtiest, coldest yet Beautiful week hiking the mountains there and bearing witness to both the tension between Islamic's and Hindu's as well as Pakistan and India with Kashmir in between (okay a little to the top right but "with Kashmir a little to the top right" just doesn't have the same impact) down to Khajuharo and Varanasi and around to Jaipur; where I rediscovered that sincere, amazing people do exist (but unfortunately as does the caste system still) and thankfully not everyone pursuing to converse with you in India thinks you are rich and wants your money. (believe me, by this point in my Journey I needed that reassurance)

After a draining, uplifting, frustrating, fun, horrible, beautiful Adventure of personal growth (but not much personal space) I found that India is a Country of intense contrast where I was constantly thinking to myself both, "I am right where I should be!" and "How did I end up here?"

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About movementandrepose


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.