Existing Member?

Family Travels Notes on the Morter family 4 and our travels around Europe and Morocco!

Luxury at Sea at Last !!

MALTA | Wednesday, 8 October 2008 | Views [725]

Our beautiful home - Norweigan Gem

Our beautiful home - Norweigan Gem

We were dying to say goodbye to Barcelona and get on our ship and after a lovely sunny outdoor breaky got a cab to the boat, the Norweigan Gem. It was massive.   It was so exciting to get onboard.  We were freaked out immediately by its size and glamour.  It’s a brand new boat and everthing was new and perfect.  We were thrilled with our room with a big porthole, sep toilet and shower and bathroom all so clean and new you could easily eat your dinner off the floor.  The shower was the best we’ve had since leaving home and getting Brendan out was a challenge.  There was heaps of storage, plasma tv, fridge and all.  Heaps of room for all our stuff and we lived in it well for the week.  We had a brilliant first day by the pool, the weather was sunny and hot and the girls were straight into the pool on top and down the huge water slide again and again. We waved off from Barcelona all 4 of us really excited.  There were so many facilities and we explored for ages and couldn’t believe we kept finding new and exciting things.  There were about 12 restaurants, 7 bars, 2 show lounges and a huge tiered theatre that sat 2,000 not to mention, casino, whole shopping mall and outside sports decks, gym, spa and kids club.  The girls went into kids club on day 1 and immediately fell in love with 2 of the workers, Jeffie and Alligator (many had code animal names).  The absolutely adored going and we suffered nagging and even tantrums if we didn’t put them in all the time through the trip. We had to pay when in ports for their care, so didn’t want to put them in all the time then, and we heard about it!  Sometimes a promise of the pool and a swim helped but they were obsessed with going.  Every time they went they had their face painted and came home with heaps of things they made. Every session had a theme and they were always kept busy and happy.  It was soooo fantastic for them.  They said the best holiday ever and when we had to leave on the last day, they cried and cried and held onto their carers only to be pried off them with promises of going to Princess Jasmine and Aladdin’s homes (Morroco).  Kid’s club went til 10.30 every night, so by the time they wound down for sleep it was invariably 11.30 or later every night and we were asleep before them!  The beds were the coziest, most comfortable havens ever and we loved our beds and pillows, sinking in with the waves splashing and slight movement.  We only had to lean up and look out of the porthole for some wave action!

We got up for the early mornings sailing into port nearly every one at 6.30am and it was magic.  Brendan was in total awe with the boat and the sailing.  Some of the maneuvers into ports were amazing and tight and fun to watch.  Our first port, after a full day and night of sailing was Malta.  It was such a different looking place to see and we were pumped to get off and have a look.  We decided not to pay for any tours (they were ridiculous prices and we might get stuck with some of the many Americans on board).  We got 2 busses to Medina, the ancient town near Valetta (the capital).  It was great.  A walled town with very tight streets and high walls and heaps of history.  Naturally we had to visit the old torture dungeons in town and found all the history there.  Malta was attacked all the time by Romans, Christians, Arabs and Jews and the African slaves planned constant coups too.  Every torture was represented and B and especially I loved it!  It’s now the only place on earth that speaks an Arabic sounding language that is spelt in roman characters.  There’s a piece of trivia for you.  We really loved Malta for its different look and feel and Media and the harbours are beautiful.

I’ll now talk about the food on the ship (I ate enough of it).  First night we went to their specialty French restaurant which was very opulent and the food amazing.  We were way too underdressed with our limited clothing but didn’t really mind.   Perfect scallops to start, melt in the mouth steak and Crepe suzettes to die for.  You can eat at one of the 3 great restaurants for free but the specialty restaurants have a cover charge so we were a bit pissed off with the hidden cost but can understand the rationale.  We had breaky most days in their posh restaurant that reminded us of old Titanic days.  They serve you whatever you want and it was all perfect watching the sea go by.  Other days, the buffet inside and on back deck was amazing with everything you can imagine.  And as you would gather, we (especially I) ate far too much at every meal and snacks in between!  The girls were freaking, they had their own kids restaurant and loved it and the deserts and 12 different icecream flavours every day with every lolly imaginable on them were much appreciated!  Most lunches we ate by the pool at the bbq (big Webbers of tandoori chicken, chops, steaks etc) or hamburgers salads, hot dogs for the kids etc.  We just could not believe the quality and range of choice of the food and told them so.  It was sooooo great, and B the fussiest of all, was amazed.  Every meal was fabulous and no complaints at all.  And the service!  Well, they were mostly Phillipinos and were soooooo gorgeous, accommodating and happy.  Such a pleasure all the time and nothing too much trouble.  Our room steward, would make animals out of towels and leave them for the girls every night.  Even monkeys hanging from our ceiling.  They are so clever. 

On our trip we had the Miss Europe/World competitors and they had a show to choose the winner on our 2nd to last night.  The girls were 15 to 21 years old and it was funny watching them over the week on the boat.  We had our favourite at the end, Miss Venezuala (of course) and she won.  The show was so funny and the boat rocking, so they had a bit of trouble with balance and so on.  B enjoyed the swimsuit section!  Also on board were 2nd City. They are a famous comedy act of 5 people, in Chicago, and were brilliant. They did improvisation and were great to watch.  We really enjoyed them.

Our next port was Naples, where the night before the Mafia war with police had seen 200 people arrested. We saw no evidence of this and got a shifty local to take us to Pompeii.  Had a great couple of hours there in the ruins.  It’s great to be in a place so full of history and with some imagination, you are able to see life as it was.  We loved it.  We took the girls for a walk into Naples when we returned and it was taking our lives into our own hands.  I remember Rome being bad for traffic manners but it was shocking.  They didn’t follow the lights and mopeds were on the pedestrian crossing with us etc.  After walking a few blocks, we fled back to the safety and comfort of our wonderful ship. We stayed on board for the next 2 ports in wonderful leisure, overeating and laziness.  We had both been to Rome and Florence and didn’t feel like coping with the outside world – especially the frenetic nature of it in Italy.

The swell picked up a bit overnight and we had some great views of waves down the side of the ship which B and I loved and a bit more rocking for a change.

Woke up to a perfect day in the bay of Villefranche and got the tender to shore and then the train 20minutes to spend the day in Monte Carlo.  We loved it and walked around the whole town and grand prix track.  We studied the wonderful yachts for hours in the marina. My goodness, have never seen so much ridiculous wealth in one spot.  It seemed a bit obscene.  Yachts with helicopters on the top etc. but fascinating to see.   Walked through the wonderful Hotel de Paris and had a G&T at the marina before heading back.  The train followed the coast road and the weather was hot and sunny so was a fantastic day with beautiful sights.  All of a sudden this trip (our favourite part of the holiday) was coming to a close and the night before Barcelona when we picked up the girls from Kid’s Club was a drama with them clinging to the gate and crying, not wanting to go.  We eventually pried off their fingers and dragged them down with them yelling “I love you” to their carers and crying.  They were sooooo tired after a week of total stimulation and not much sleep.    We knew it would  be bad with them being so tired and we we’re right.  Crying all the way down the disembarkation tunnels and into the cab.  Asking why we have to leave.  “I don’t want to go to Morroco, I want to stay on the boat”.  And they were right!

About morter_family


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malta

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.