Existing Member?

the mysterious cave

Friouato's cave

MOROCCO | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [172] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day that i decided to go to that scout camp. It was a decision of last minute. It was in Taza, a city in northern Morocco. Several activities and excursions were hold, but the one i have never expected was that one of the famous sunday. That sunday we were supposed to visit the famous cave of Friouato, located about 30 Km of the city of Taza. The camp was about 20 Km far from the cave. So the challenge was to walk until there. We were giving the choice to whether walk or go by bus. So the group was divided in two, one going on foot, the other on bus. I was of course, part of the one going on foot. I hesitated a lot at first, but then realised that opportunities only come once, and that was my chance to experience something new.We started walking by 9:00 am, all ready and set. The first 5 Km were a little bit hard to endure because the day before, we had an excursion and we walked for almost 5 to 8 Km. So our legs were still aching a little bit. The 5 next Km were okay, and just exciting. Once we crossed the 10 Km on a regular road, the next 5 Km were on mountains and collins. It was difficult to endure, knowing that it was so Hot and we were running of water. Just after passing this stage, we found some villagers that hepled us fulling our bottles of water, we were really moved by their kindness and encouragments. Afterwards, and after 2 hours of walking, we were happy to hear that we arrived, only to discover that we arrived to The Mountain where the cave is, so we still had some few Kms to run. This last path was dangerous to cross because cars and trucks were coming and going. But thank's to our challenging spirit, we could endure it and acheive our first goal. So after 3 wonderful hours we were there. To reach to the entry of the cave, we went down 2000 stairs. The more we went down, the more it was cold. Our biggest shock was to see that the entry was too small, and only one person can go in, one by one. It was so slippy, so hard to maintain its equilibre. It is a mysterious cave, having so much labyrinths, yet so many beautiful aquatic sculptures, stalagmites, stalactites and beams. It was a journey to the center of the earth, discovering both nature and culture. Well it was just an unforgettable journey for me, a journey that defenitly deserve to be lived again.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About moroccan-nature


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.