Existing Member?

Traveling Through Time

The Holy City of Varanasi

INDIA | Tuesday, 19 May 2015 | Views [223] | Scholarship Entry

The rain poured down on me as I navigated my way through a winding labyrinth packed to the brim with chaiwallahs advertising tea through their loud calls, people chanting prayers, temple bells ringing, dogs sniffing heaps of trash, cows chewing vegetable rinds, stalls selling sizzling samosas and a mithai (sweet) shop churning milk which overflowed into the street. The strong stench of oil, incense, sweat, and cow dung, overpowered my nostrils. As soon as I reached Kedareswar Guesthouse, I went upstairs to the rooftop terrace to gaze at the sacred Ganges River, which stretched for miles before me. I arrived in the holy city of Varanasi (also known as Benares) in the midst of a monsoon.

If you are ready for uninterrupted chaos mixed with incredible sights and sounds, the magical city of Varanasi will leave you spellbound, with an experience you will never forget. Go to Varanasi with an open mind, admire the beautiful Ganges River, and get ready for the unexpected! Once you leave Varanasi, you won’t be the same. Memories of the aarti (prayer services) along the banks of the Ganges, seeing throngs of devotees bowing to a shivalinga at Kashi Vishwanath Temple, or touching the sacred Ganges River with your hands will linger in your mind long after you’ve left Varanasi.

• If you’re in the mood to venture off the beaten path, visit Kedar Ghat for a peaceful aarti along the banks of the Ganges River.
• Avoid going to Varanasi after the summer monsoon season in India because the Ganges River will be flooded and the boat tours won’t be operational. The locals informed me that the best time to visit Varanasi is during December. When the weather is perfect, you can stroll past the entire city on the ghats (steps that border the Ganges River). Also, don’t miss out on the sunrise and sunset boat tours and viewing the entire aarti from a fantastic vantage point aboard a boat.
• Kedareswar Guesthouse is my favorite bed and breakfast in Varanasi. It’s tricky to find this guesthouse, so Mintu (one of the managers) will send a staff member to guide you. Enjoy hot pancakes and masala chai at sunrise on the rooftop deck, but beware of hungry monkeys!
• Try famous Benares sweet paan. Paan is a betel leaf filled with areca nut, fennel seeds, and other ingredients. It’s usually served as a breath freshener like an after dinner mint. Benares is known for having the best paan in India and Bollywood songs singing praises of this paan exist!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About montravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.