Existing Member?

Here we go

STICK KING

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 8 February 2009 | Views [258] | Comments [1]

 Battambang is the second largest city in Cambodia and my new home for the rest two months. I’ve been here for two weeks already but it feels like eternality. BB is located in the northwest part of the country and is mostly known as the rice bowl due to the many rice fields and the huge production of rice in the area. Speaking about rice, I eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even for snack.  In khmer the words for different meal times is not used, instead they say eat rice for every meal. My favorite rice snack is sticky rice on bamboo stick and warm banana with sticky rice covered with banana leaf. I love rice, when I was younger my brother Huguito used to sing a song about me that goes Arros arros a Monica and then you start over from the beginning. A hit song of course.  Arros is the Spanish word for rice, that is how much I liked rice, I even had a song about it. So far I have no problem eating so much rice as I do now, I even have tried different variations of rice, for example is new rice (newly harvested rice) so much tastier than “old” rice. I do wonder if I will get tired of it? Anyways, that was a lot of talk about rice, such an interesting subject though. However I wanted to write about Battambang. The name means the Stick King and refers to an old king that lost his stick.  BB is great, it has a nice park where a lot of people hang out in the afternoons and evenings. It has become some sort of hanging out place for us to, and we usually by mango, sugar cane juice and look at the people that do exercise. It’s the funniest thing ever. I and Rat joined the first time but I couldn’t stop laughing. Imagine Friskis och Svettis! Also I love the river that runs through the city. The waters that my house use for cooking and showering comes from that river. I’m a little uncertain about the cleanness level of the water, but everybody uses it and so far no problem. 

The second day in Battambang me, Rat my allied, Jonna the Swedish participant and her counterpartner Rothanak bought bicycles to easily move around. We named the bikes Red dragon, Buffalo soldier, Loverboy and Unicorn. The Red Dragon, which is my bike, got a flat tire after five minutes.  The first weekend we biked over 50 km visiting a nearby temple and the rice fields. The traffic here is not as intense as Phnom Phen but it still seemed crazy at a first glance and I thought it would be difficult to ride a bike. It turns out that it’s not hard at all. It’s like an organized chaos and once you learn a few basic things, for example that it’s better to go very slow while turning instead of stopping, all you have to do is go with the flow.

                                                                 

Comments

1

Haha, 'Loverboy'?

  Sao-Mai Feb 11, 2009 1:57 AM

About moniponi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.