Existing Member?

The other side of the River

Lights of the night

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [111] | Scholarship Entry

Burned into my memory are the thousands of shimmering star-like creatures, blurring the lines between the air and the water. As we slowly paddled into the unknown, eyes adjusting to the darkness, suddenly we were in the midst of glimmering lights, observing what felt like ancient communication once known to the mankind, now long lost and forgotten. It seemed as if the fabric of the world had been torn, and we were peeking into a hidden world, a sacred space so intimate and magical, a presence so hard to grasp it felt somehow divine. What was up or down had lost its meaning, reflected in water were the distant galaxies, the worlds yet to be discovered.

I could hear my breath, wishing it could be more silent, my heart beating so fast I was wrestling with feelings of euphoria and gratitude, I was a child who had just entered wonderland, yet aware we were guests in this kingdom, we were the day creatures visiting the world of the night.

Gently floating through water, surrounded by millions of stars above, and thousands of fireflies around, the journey so sacral It was our journey to the underworld in ancient Egypt, our crossing to the other side of the river in Siddhartha, the book which just hours ago had laid on the top of my bag. As I let my mind travel to the faraway lands, my body filled with silence. I looked with my eyes, but i perceived with emotions-I plunged into the underwaters of the human mind and listened to the voice of natures reign.

And just like that, it was over. We got off the boat and walked to the waiting car without sharing a word. Our driver gave us an understanding nod and joined us in our silence.
It took some time before we were talking again. We agreed this was one of those experiences we were never going to forget.

That same night, I had one of the most vivid dreams i can remember. It's as if my mind was still immersed in the out-of-worldly travel. I was suddenly walking out through the front door back home, all looking so familiar, but the sky was bright red. I inspected the sky, ready to be afraid, when i realized it couldn't be real and reminded myself in the dream I was safely sleeping in my hotel room in Kuala Selangor, Malaysia.

I hope you will get the chance to experience this world, I hope you will create your story, your journey to the lights of the night, and I hope you will extend the same respect to this magical place as want to believe we did upon our visit.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About monikaegle


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.