Existing Member?

Yet another blog about Japan

The flight

JAPAN | Tuesday, 22 September 2015 | Views [522]

On the way to the land of the raising sun

On the way to the land of the raising sun

To keep some sort of chronology, I'll start with my flight to Japan. With it's duration of about 35h I consider it worth mentioning...

As you probably know, I tend to do things last minute. This held also true when I had to pack my bags for Japan. On the last day - Sunday, where all shops are closed - I started. In the late evening I had managed to put my whole life in a suitcase, a backpack and an handbag. After a short, almost sleepless night I got up at 6, ate my last German breakfast for the next year, said goodbye to my sister and got in the car. My parents brought me to the airport in Zurich - and then I was alone. And I actually realised - for the first time - that I was leaving everyone and everything behind. The grey theory became real.

Ok, now it was definitely too late to return. I got rid of my suitcase, with about 28kg far below the limit of 30kg. My hopes, that the hand luggage would be ignored as usual, weren't fulfilled and I had to put my backpack on the balance. With about 13kg it was only slightly overweight - 7kg were allowed... Whoops... But in the end it didn't matter and I didn't have to pay a fee. The security check and boarding kept me busy and helped me to ignore the sadness of leaving home.

In the airplane I had time to think again, but very soon I could enjoy the takeoff and a fantastic view over the Alps. All the way to Doha the sky was perfectly clear. As the middle seat in my row was free, I also had lots of space. Finally I left my sorrows behind and was looking forward to Japan (however, I still couldn't imagine it at all).

Perfect view over the alps

After this nice, calm flight I was looking forward to spending eight hours in my "favourite" airport... but I was surprised in a very positive way. I didn't have to choose between a chair and a socket, no, I could get both at the same time! And as a unexpected bonus, there was even a table. Unbelievable! The more time passed, the slower it went, and so I was glad, that Ferenc (from Hungary) joined me after a few hours. We tried to stay awake, which became more and more difficult... after a few more hours also David (from Germany) arrived in Doha and we spent the rest of the time together.

[If you feel tired by this endless story - I did as well!]

Tired to death we boarded the airplane, and right after the takeoff (which I would never ever miss - best part of the flight!) I fell asleep. Drinks, food, the sunrise (very beautiful!), a lack of drinks, turbulences, more food, ... woke me up every now and then. After an eternity we saw it. The land of the rising sun (although it was already in the evening). Japan. Our new home.

Now only through the security check, do the immigration - wohoo, more Vulcanusians -, send the suitcase to the dormitory, and buy a train ticket to the hotel. Only. It took a few more hours to do everything and it's a long way from Narita to Tokyo...

Happy end: I could take the shower I already wanted many, many hours earlier. We went to a Ramen place. And then: sleeeeeep...

Tags: flight, no sleep, sunrise

About monika

The GAP umbrella is reliable in rain and sun

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.