Existing Member?

The Black Girl in the Balkans

The black girl in the Balkans

BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA | Saturday, 3 May 2014 | Views [731] | Scholarship Entry

I chose the topic "How did I end up here?" but I know exactly how I ended up in Bosnia & Herzegovina, where I am currently filling out this application. I followed my passion and dream - traveling is my very own aphrodisiac. I know how I ended up here because I bought my flight ticket here. Although when I arrived in Bosnia's airport I asked myself "what were you thinking?". The entire trip was a gamble. I wasn't sure if I'd be let into the country because the visa entry requirements using Schengen Visa wasn't to clear for citizens of developing countries. I figured I'd never know until I try and also finding out what happens would be an adventure on its own. It turned out to be positive and now I'm sitting on my hostel bed in Mostar typing up this story about how I ended up here. It only seems appropriate to write about my amazing experience in one of Europe's hidden gem. A Bosnian friend who I just met in Sarajevo last week sent me this scholarship to apply to because my recent blog post titled "The town of Travnik" was a big hit in her hometown. I see no reason why I shouldn't be very appreciative of a country so rich in history, with great food, really nice people (nicest I've met on many of my travels), great mountain views and waterfalls, and most importantly free tap water in restaurants (something not very common in Europe) that my Americanized self relates to. I had no expectations for Bosnia but this trip has exceeded all of my expectations. My ultimate dream is to travel to every part of the world and so deciding to tour Eastern Europe alone is me living my passion but my family, my friends and Bosnians asked me - "How did you end up here?". My family and friends said me: "Who travels to Bosnia? Bosnians are surprised that a black girl born and raised in Nigeria who moved to the US 10 years ago ends up in Bosnia for a solo vacation. Everyone is intrigued. My simple answer to them is why not Bosnia, last time I checked Bosnia is still a country and so it is worth visiting. I've been called brave so many times on this trip and I see the reason why. Since I arrived in Bosnia, I have been a mini celebrity. It became obvious to me that people around here don't see people of color that often. In fact, I'm the only black person and girl I have seen in the past 6 days I've been traveling around the country. I've enjoyed every bit of this trip from Sarajevo to Travnik to Mostar and all the crazy bus rides in between.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About monie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bosnia & Herzegovina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.